In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

15/30 magazines

callktulucallktulu Member Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
edited April 2021 in Ask the Experts

I live in a state (CO) that limits magazine sizes to 15 rounds. I can't seem to find any AR magazines that are JUST 15 rounds, but I find plenty for sale that are "15/30" magazines, meaning they have a limiter within a standard 30-round magazine that only allows 15 rounds to be loaded.

What I can't find in my internet searches is if this kind of "limited" magazine is considered legal. Can any experts please help me understand the legalities here? Please & thank you...

EDIT:

Here's the link to the actual Colorado law... still seems a little vague as to what is considered a permanent limitation to a potentially higher capacity magazine.

https://www.leg.state.co.us/clics/clics2013a/csl.nsf/fsbillcont/7E6713B015E62E6F87257B0100813CB5?Open&file=1224_01.pdf

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited April 2021

Only the state Attorney General can rule on what actually limits capacity, but i can provide a coupe of examples:

Here are two SIG-Sauer P320 9mm magazines:

Although the magazine on the right has a finger extension on its base, the bodies of the two magazines are identical. The magazine on the right is full capacity while one on the left has been "limited" to ten rounds by indenting each side of the magazine body. Because it is possible to drill out the indentations, or physically force the indentations back into place, these types of modifications are not acceptable in many states with magazine restrictions.

Next up is a Browning 9mm HiPower 10 shot factory magazine with a specially shortened body which cannot accept more than 10 rounds or even be fitted with a standard HP baseplate.

This is not a modification or a "limiter" this magazine was purpose built as 10 shot and is perfectly legal.

My guess is that any limiting device which can be removed from a full capacity-sized magazine, even at the risk of destroying the magazine itself, would not be ruled as legal.

As always, these are my own photos and were not stolen off the web.

Notice is given to the membership: focus on the question and do not lecture or comment on the law.

• Options
    callktulucallktulu Member Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭

Thanks, Mark! I could find verbiage that said higher-capacity magazines are exempt if they are "permanently altered" to hold only 15 rounds. I'm still trying to find more explanation of what those 2 words actually mean in the letter of the law...

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭

Great question, please post any info you find.

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭

I can't seem to find any AR magazines that are JUST 15 rounds, 

Assuming you mean for .223/5.56?? I've seen them here and there but can't find any at this moment. I 'm not sure you'll gain that much in firepower over the far more common and available 10 rounders.

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    MillironMilliron Member Posts: 271 ✭✭

I find the 20 round magazine much more pick-up friendly than a 30. If a 30 round magazine can be altered to 15 I would think a 20 could be modified as well, JMHO.