In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

38sp ammo?

debidebi Member Posts: 1

I bought a 38speical. When I bought it they told me to be sure to only use 38sp ammo. Not 38sp+. My question is what is the difference in 38sp ammo. I see some at 132gr., 125gr,140gr.,150gr.,I think that's grains of gun powder, right? Why are there so many? When is a 38sp considered (+) ? What's the best to get?

Comments

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,354 ***** Forums Admin
    edited April 2021

No, the weights you're listing is the weights of the bullets. 38 special +P is loaded to a higher pressure standard (more powder) than regular 38 special. Some manufactures will ok +P in their firearms, some will not. If a box of 38 special ammunition is loaded to +P standards, it will be labeled as such on the box.

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,992 ******

What make and model .38 did you buy?

• Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭

On a side note, 38 special+ P is worthless in a revolver with less than a 4 inch barrel, unless you want make a lot of noise and flash effects. + P will shoot fine in a gun rated for +P but there will be no benefits in a short barrel. All the + takes place outside the barrel.

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

The box denote the weight of the bullet. Check with the manufacturer to see if the gun is able to digest +P ammo, some counter folks do not know for sure. Some are some are not able to handle the +P pressures.

There are 7,000 grains in a pound. Powder charges for 38 caliber pistols will usually have less that 5 grains of powder. Buy lead loads for training 140-158 grain bullets are fine, even 148 wad cutters are great for practice. Train a lot until you are comfortable hitting your target. The 125 JHP is a good defense load. The 140-158 are also viable for defense.

The most important thing is to practice, practice and then practice some more. Make sure you also practice with the loads you intend to carry for defense so you can learn where they shoot.

If you are new to shooting getting professional training will help you become a safe effective gun owner. Owning a gun is an awesome responsibility that makes you bear the results of owning and using a firearm.

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭

Here's a good article that explains the differences in ammo loads. I like "frangible" ammo for those who live close to neighbors or have others living with them. A couple of manufacturers sell .38 spec marked "for use in 2" barrel revolvers". I like wad cutters for new shooters, as recoil & muzzle blast are low; master them, & move up to something else if you like.

But, before you do anything else, be sure that you have the hand strength to pull the trigger on your gun!

Neal

• Options
    badchrisbadchris Member Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021

If your 38 special revolver (assuming that's what you have) is a lightweight firearm, stay away from lead bullets (projectiles) or you could experience what is called bullet walkout where the recoil makes the projectile jump forward out of the case far enough to lock up the action rendering the firearm useless.

And welcome to the forums.

Enemies of armed self-defense focus on the gun. They ignore the person protected with that gun.
  • Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭

Just passing on info from gun manufactures.

Not into the detail pressure stuff. KISS is the best info for most applications in life.

No I am not worried about being sued by anyone.

Shoot all the +p you like in a firearm not rated for it, just don't complain when you send it back to maker for repairs.

A good chance the first question they will as is "what ammo have you been using".

This discussion has been closed.