In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Bullet puller

Anyone have thoughts or have tried the GRIP-N-PULL? Looking to pull some 308, 224 and 9mm. Trying to make a choice on a tool. Any input would be welcome, I have never considered it before now due to the current shortages. I have looked at other threads concerning pulling tools,but have not seen this one addressed. Thank you in advance!!

Comments

• Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭

The kinetic energy hammer type are the best in my opinion. It doesn't damage the bullet nor the case and they're cheap.

I don't use the collet shell holders in mine. I just use the shell holder for the press and screw the hammer cap on. You can cover up the hole where power will leak with a piece of tape.

Those little rubber o-rings on the collets were always breaking so I just quit using them.

• PcroftPcroft Member Posts: 51

Thank you for your input. I am in the info stage on this subject.

edited April 2021

Thank you, that is the kind of input I needed. Which one were you using? They offer a "milspec" for 7.62 and 5.56, and then a general puller that covers several calibers from .17 up to .30.

Forgemonkey what you reccomend for pulling 7.62, 5.56 and 9mm?

• Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭

I have bullet pullers. RCBS that takes different spuds for different calibers.

All of the GRIP type pullers that I have used will distort the bullets.

I've reloaded few distorted bullets just to see if they still group ok in some old bolt action rifles and they were ok but I do not recommend reloading distorted bullets due to possible pressures, etc.

When I want to re-use the bullets pulled I use a RCBS or Hornady kinetic puller.

I stick with these two brands because I have used their lifetime warranty few times due to broken parts and I can request spare replacement parts.

I insert a sponge type ear plug into the puller and this keeps from bending or distorting the point on some bullets.

On some hulls that are very hard to pull the bullet I place the shell in my press and use a bullet seater and press the bullet little deeper to break the tightness.

Some factory shells are the harder ones to pull.

But I have not pulled any 9mm bullets that you ask about.

Thank you for the input Okie. As I suspected,a one size fits all set of pliers is not going to accomplish my goal.

Thank you Forgemonkey, first straight answer I have yet imho. I am going to hunt for the RCBS and Hornady, as those are the dies I am familiar with.