In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

The Postal Service is running a 'covert operations program' that monitors Americans' social media ?

serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2021 in Politics

So they are using the U.S. postal system as an offshoot of espionage on their own citizens. You would think That A.I. could do a better job by now but I guess THE NSA cannot do internal spying under current laws.

serf

https://news.yahoo.com/the-postal-service-is-running-a-running-a-covert-operations-program-that-monitors-americans-social-media-posts-160022919.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=tw&tsrc=twtr

The law enforcement arm of the U.S. Postal Service has been quietly running a program that tracks and collects Americans’ social media posts, including those about planned protests, according to a document obtained by Yahoo News.

The details of the surveillance effort, known as iCOP, or Internet Covert Operations Program, have not previously been made public. The work involves having analysts trawl through social media sites to look for what the document describes as “inflammatory” postings and then sharing that information across government agencies.

Comments

• BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭

If true, it would just be another set of eyes on the stuff posted on the internet. I would imagine that several other gov't agencies will probably be reading this post, so what is one more? We praise the government when a terrorist act is thwarted due to their surveillance, but act outraged when we realize we might be observed also. The internet and social media have created as many problems as they have benefits. Bob

• chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,718 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021

If you think the PO is covertly spying on people, you might want to check out what FB, Google, and Twitter are doing. The PO in comparison would be like a spit in the ocean compared to big tech and big tech is much more formidable.

• Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭

way to obvious what big tec is doing

do a search on a lawn mower a drill pet food well really any thing with in a day you will be seeing adds for that item show for sale on your computer

• mstrblastermstrblaster Member Posts: 241 ✭✭✭

They have time to do that?? Or they have been doing it a while and that's part of what's wrong with the Post Office for the last few years!! That's funny stuff right there!!

To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go out into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness, how cheap, how cowardly, how pathetic. Ted Nugent.
  • sxsnufsxsnuf Member Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭

I can just imagine the stellar intellects that work in the "law enforcement" arm of the USPS. Affirmitave Action candidates that washed out of their previous assignments?

I'm way more intimidated by the foreign H1B Visa holders working for google!

Arrivederci gigi
  • BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,280 ******

Quote; I'm way more intimidated by the foreign H1B Visa holders working for google!

You talking about that Hindu fella who says his name is Steve? 😁

• serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭

i have been told a lot of minorities are employed at The Post Office and could be more inclined to work on such a program to spy on any conservative whites groups. The Tea party where outed by Obama with The IRS investigations. The Democrats are really worried about white folks right now.

serf

• sxsnufsxsnuf Member Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021

Not sure what you mean by "outed", serf?

To me, at least, when someone is "outed", it indicates that they were trying to hide something, and that "something" was exposed.

The fact is, obama WEAPONIZED the IRS and used it to ASSAULT the TEA party and other conservative organizations because he was trying to silence their opposition to his liberal agenda.

In retrospect, his agenda was pretty conservative in relation to what the democrats have done since January 20th.

The dems are less worried about skin color than they are about conservative ideology.

Arrivederci gigi
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭

C'mon, man.

Now we know why the Post Office is losing money charging $ 0.51 per letter.

Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭

Obama is just a closet commie and knew to wait for another Democrat to come in and spring the trap with a majority in Congress. Biden and Obama are pen pals,bet on it.

The Tea party was ostracized. pick your verb but it was a way to hold sway over a grass root organization.

serf

• jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******

Hey USPS, where’s my package that was mailed on March 20, 2021? Are you listening?

• bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

Is the Gb forus considered Social Media? If so we are all toast when Joe (Stalin) Biden understands, if possible, we are here.

• Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭

I read this and let it go .

then a couple days ago on the internet there was postings about the P.O. was doing just that , there postal inspectors or special police what ever they call them are suppose to be looking for what I would call anti-left info negative comments or statements on going against them

• onejaegeronejaeger Member Posts: 20 ✭✭

USPS sent a text to my Trac Phone that a package being sent to me had been redirected. The ONLY connection the Trac Phone has to me is my land line was used to start/initiate the Trac Phone. How did the Post office get my Trac phone number ?

• Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭

Of course this is social media, Bruce.

Sometimes anti-social, but it still falls under the umbrella.

Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele