In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Man it's really tough

spasmcreeksrunspasmcreeksrun Member Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭

our little rescue buddy of 11 years is dying and nothing further we can do ... that long ago i followed tracks with a drag mark in between for several miles wondering what it was..then a few days later i came back home to see this little emaciated doggie on the deck right in front of the door ...some rat bas---- had dumped her out with her collar dragging a 4 foot leash......and it had caught between the deck boards, couldn't get any closer than that to being inside ...took that as a real sign and we have loved this rascal ever since and she is so tight with my wife they are a full time pair.. took that leash and tried a hundred times to stick in between the boards with no luck..... have been bedside when 5 relatives have died and that was easy compared to this....she will be buried out here with a couple other great buddies that have gone ahead...over Rainbow Bridge i hope.......goodbye LUCY ........wait for me

Comments

• Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,748 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Texas1911DETexas1911DE Member Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭

...I'm sorry, I know it hurts, but as a lot of other things, it does get better with time.

...I had a Border Collie I'd rescued, had her 19 years, then her joints gave out even with taken meds...big difference from being faster than lightening to barely getting around...I still think about her most everyday...hang in there...

• Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭

Tough to read! Sorry you are losing your buddy!

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,355 ******

Sorry for you and your wife, I know the feelings all too well. It will always hurt, but our lives do go on and maybe another rescue is in your future.

• Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭

Condolences, hopefully you can take some solace knowing you made a difference in that dogs life possibly as much as she made in yours.

Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭

prayers sent

Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭

Dogs give us so much, because they have so little time to give it.

Take solace in the memories of what was meant to be.

• Options
    ridgleyartridgleyart Member Posts: 937 ✭✭✭✭

So very sorry for your loss, nothing tougher. After a vet visit this morning it looks like we will be facing it again soon.

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,562 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021

So sorry

Take comfort you have her a great hone and 11 years is log run to share with a buddy

I am sure she knew what you did for her , they seem to understand

We have been thru it many times just two weeks ago with Wendy a 12 year old Wiener dog and a cat about the same age a few days later

We have pet grave yard actually. Two one the trees grew up to big to add more graves

Like you it seems to hit harder than some friends passing

We still have three dogs and about a dozen cats

All are rescue or dropped off but they found a forever home with us

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,009 ******

I'm sorry. I too know how it hurts.

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,238 ✭✭✭✭

Where did our 11 years go, my graying friend, my love? How unfairly fast the time has come when your body can't obey your great, great heart. No matter Lucy, we were young together and knew what life was all about. Let's turn back now and build a fire and take a little nap.

• Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭

You are a good man, you provided a life this animal would have most likely never had otherwise. May God bless you during this trying time.

"Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    susiesusie Member Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,372 ***** Forums Admin

So sorry for your loss, it hurts.

• Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear the sad news. It is never easy.

I just lost my pet/buddy after 25 years.

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,360 ******

My Golden Retriever chose me over my Mrs. as his BEST friend and companion. That is a first after having many dogs over the years. We do just about everything together. Where I go, he goes. When I hit the bed at night, (side sleeper) Corky waits until I get comfortable and then jumps aboard and always puts his head across my hip until I fall asleep. He then jumps down to the floor and sleeps in his favorite spot by the window. Wife says he is tucking me in.

I cherish each and every day I spend with that dog as we get close to his 6th birthday in another month. I'm very thankful to have such a dedicated, unconditional loving friend. Something this old man has never quite ever experienced before.

My heart goes out to you SCR for your loss.

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,651 ✭✭✭✭

Condolences, SCR. That's always a very tough thing to go through. She'll be waiting for you.

• Options
    Wild TurkeyWild Turkey Member Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Nanuq907Nanuq907 Member Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options

after several days of watching LUCY decline and weaken we tucked her in between us last night...this morn upon awakening she had scooted near the foot of the bed and was barely breathing '''we both went into the kitchen and soon hear a cry from her so we scooped her up and sat on the couch talking to her as her breathing and heart gave out...she did not want to be away from us and that was her goodbye...hers was a box with her wrapped in towels and a goodbye letter and a copy of Rainbow Bridge ........took my small backhoe and buried her just off the west deck close to her home...now it is really tough

• Options

and many thanks to all the have posted their support...here and on facebook the kind letters have helped THANKS

• Options
    Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,355 ******
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,360 ******

Sorry for your loss SCR.

• Options
    4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭✭

SCR, lost my best friend and hunting partner of 55 years in Feb and my little dog "Willie" has taken his place. I am sorry your Lucy has passed on.----------------Ray

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

Time will cure eventually. Just think of the good times.

• Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,911 ✭✭✭✭

What is it about dogs? Become closer than relatives I've found. Have 6 dogs and 4 cats buried along our fence line. NEVER easy. Condolences.

• Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭

May God bless you and Lucy.

"Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner