In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

lost bunny rabbit

Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭

we had , a rabbit in our yard , left over from when my thought having rabbits was a good idea , any way he was the last one and has been staying in and around our yard for years he was the only one . we just called him bunny rabbit he was all black . he would come up to you looking for goodies usually a slice of bread was his favorite .

any way skip ahead we took the dogs on a walk a short time ago on a old drive way / path about 80 yards from the house there was a gut pile and just a two tiny patches of skin and fur maybe 2" square wife started crying she get emotional and attached to the animals

I honestly never thought he would have made it this long just staying in the yard with the yotes and foxes and hawks we get wondering by

I am not sure what got him and would just left the gut pile and a couple pieces of fur . I am guessing a fox as there a bit rare to see but are around us .

we have cats but they have lived with the rabbit for many years and never bothered him . and there well fed

I am a long way from being a outdoors man when it comes to guessing what got him but a Fox is my best guess ?

Comments

• roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,105 ✭✭✭✭

Sounds like the 2 legged predator no fur and guts...

Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭

A bob cat will eat a rabbit, like you or I would eat an Egg McMuffin.

• jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
  • Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭

no way a human .

it was as night so that ruled out a hawk , we have yotes and have lost a couple chickens and I am sure a cat or two they left tracks all around the chicken pen back in the winter looking for a easy meal

we have foxes that pass thru rarely possibly a stray cat or dog but no bones nothing but the intestines and a couple small patches of skin / fur and in the open in the middle of a path /drive way . that's what has me puzzled I did find a spot looked he may have been fighting something bits of fur about 15 feet from the gut pile

like I said I was amazed he made it at least four or five years maybe longer I lost track but its been years of just hanging around the out buildings .

not a big deal just a rabbit but upset the wife as it has been around so long .

I would not even posted except the gut pile has me wondering

• Nanuq907Nanuq907 Member Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭

if so he is out of his territory , no wonder he need a meal traveling that far

• randomnutrandomnut Member Posts: 942 ✭✭✭

Most likely an owl. I'm a firm believer that birds of prey and their protected status in recent times have decimated upland bird and small game populations.

I have though that also maybe a owl but we have never seen one in the thirty plus years Here but I am sure there around there's a small woods about 1/2 mile away

And being at night ant the small pile of fur llike it was picked pulled out looked like a scuffle not far from the guts

• pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭✭

Likely an owl . Just cause you don’t see them doesn’t mean they are not there

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • diver-rigdiver-rig Member Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭✭

Could also be a corn monkey.

Remember old Blue!

• toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭

Doesn't sound like he's lost....

• BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,275 ******

I have seen where an owl took a rabbits head off and go with it. Just the head. Left the best part of the carcass for other critters.

There are fussy coyotes around my place that leave guts behind. Only during nice weather when game is plentiful though.

• dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭

No, it is not a corn monkey. Corn monkeys always eat the guts first.

• SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭

Most likely you have more owls, foxes, and other critters around than you know. In the past I trapped and called for fur, a lot. It would be rare to not call in an owl or several owls when you turned a call on at night. Places people said there weren't fox regularly produced fox. Fox just does not get seen much.

What ever it was probably killed the rabbit at the other spot you seen then moved it to the open lane to eat. That makes me think owl or hawk. A coyote usually wouldn't be worried much about getting stalked, a fox will often eat part of a rabbit then carry the rest off. A bird want to see what around it so it can scoot if a fox, coyote, bobcat etc, comes along so they will often move to an open area to feed. Of course there are also minks and weasels to consider,

• Nanuq907Nanuq907 Member Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭

I have thought on it I am 99% sure it was a owl . it was a bright full moon the rabbit was sitting in the open . he did that a lot and well dinner was served .

he has avoided all the other wild life for years , so death from the sky he never seen it coming

nanuq907

nice print in the snow tells the story and evidence

was that a eagle flying off with dinner ?

• tangaratangara Member Posts: 133 ✭✭

I am a landscaper and I'm in several clients yards daily. I have seen a rabbit head and stomach sometimes with intestines, sometimes with a foot, etc. hundreds of times in the last dozen years. Figured either owl or hawk. Very common this time of year with the first broods leaving the nest.

• gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
    It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books