In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Red Ryder

mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭

I finally found a deal that I couldn't resist for my "most sought after" rifle. I got a like new 70th anniversary Red Ryder bb gun with a saddle-ring and leather thong...........full of bb's, for only $25.

Might be a safe queen or I might display it along with my bottle of Hijos de Villa reposado teuila, bottled as a 1911. I just hope I don't shoot my eye out.

Comments

• Options

Yep...........mine looks like that too..........although yours has a more meaningful pedigree.

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,956 ✭✭✭✭

The actor that played Red Ryder lived in Albuquerque, and used to come to the local gun show and sign autographs and pose for photos with kids and folks like me who actually remembered him. He did not charge, and was a really nice gentleman. Sadly he passed several years ago.

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,576 ✭✭✭✭

I have a have maybe a 1/2 dozen maybe 10 old bb and pellet guns I have picked up over the years at swap meets garage sales even the internet . I bought both my sons a new red Ryder for Christmas one year . they still have them

as for me when I a kid maybe 10 or 12 I wanted a bb gun mom and dad both tried to talk me out of it , but gave in so on my birth day they bought me one not a red Ryder they were a bit more expensive but it was a daisy that looked similar cost about 8.00 at a local discount place ( think early Walmart want to be ) called o-mart . we lived in town and dad said you know your not allowed to shoot it in town . did not say no just be aware

well crap of course the first day me and a couple compadres took it in the back ally as we called it . I bet we did not get twenty shots in before the ( big bad LEO rolled up on us ) he was actually very polite and nice about it looking back on it he told me a lot of people think it OK to shoot a BB gun in town , but neighbors complain and well its no no . take it home . so my young heart damaged and sprit stepped on I went back home to pass along the sad news '

when I was young we would go back to Tennessee about every two months some times every month just weekend trip to see family

it was my ticket to shoot my bb gun and later on my kid brother got one so we would look forward to the trips . I could not guess the amount of BB's we went thru in the day or two we were visiting . we seemed to always run out but the little country store had packs of BB's for 2 or 3 cents each so with sad eyes and begging we would get a few more packs out of mom and dad . it does not sound like much now as for money but money was tight and well BB's were a long way down any list .

considering our trips were staying with relative's all of us kids mom and dad would sleep cross ways in the same bed and food was a pack of bologna and a loaf of bread for the weekend maybe a carton of pepsi

great old memories though ☺️

• Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭

My Dad taught me to shoot with a Red Ryder and I taught my son to shoot with one ................. still have it.

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,376 ******

Speaking of BB guns. I'm sure I'm not the only one who ever took a shot with the lever down. 😁

YeeeeeeOuuuuuch that smarts! 😫

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

Used a Daisy 25

• Options
    Texas1911DETexas1911DE Member Posts: 649 ✭✭✭✭

...Wow...not thought about my first BB gun in awhile, a Daisy single pump...I got a big "be careful", then I was turned loose on the hapless English Sparrows..,have no idea what happened to it...

• Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭✭

I had a regular 600 shot Daisey.2 of my buddies that were brothers had Daisey 94s.Another buddy had the Daisey Model 21 double barrel that he broke the stock on using it like a club attempting to break the window of an old abandoned house.

• Options

I only bought it because I really do think it's cool and it was cheap at $25. I shot some bb guns as a kid but never got any kind of gun until my 12th Christmas..........and it was a Winchester 1906. I am glad that good memories have been brought up for some.

I do have two .177 cal pellet guns. One of them is the old heavy Chinese training rifle bought for something like $49.99 out of Shotgun News.........way back. The other is a refurbished something or other that I have mildly played with. Those are both serious enough to kill small critters for sure.

• Options
    ridgleyartridgleyart Member Posts: 937 ✭✭✭✭

I started with a pellet gun around 7 years old, it was a .22 cal Benjamin pump, had real wood and you could pump it up a lot...my little arms could only manage about 3 pumps. Killed a lot of squirrels and rabbits with it. Had it during college where we killed many beer cans in the basement of the fraternity house. It just disappeared sometime in those college years, man what a fun little gun it was.

• Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,971 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,911 ✭✭✭✭

Still have mine along with the orig. leather thong!!

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,576 ✭✭✭✭

thanks

it hurts now thinking about it , my fingers' went numb . however I did not make a noise or say any thing . I did not my dad to not take us back out to shoot or to show how dumb I was ..

one of the first thing's I showed my sons when I gave them there BB guns . if they did ever do it they never said any thing ..

• Options
    4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭✭

Had a Daisy 25 Pump back in the early 50's. Spent each summer with Granny and Grandpa on the farm in Louisa County (Mineral) Virginia. Road to farm was red clay for almost a mile off gravel county road. I would walk this dirt road in the dog days of summer with my Daisy 25 looking for grasshoppers. Some grew to be over three inches and they loved to sit in the sun on that red clay road. Sometimes i would see one on the move and a real challenge to hit them but a near miss was deadly as they flew up in the air like a mortar round just impacted. You could always tell if a hit or miss. Lots of red clay dust if a miss. I suppose looking back that was maybe cruel but I sure cut down on the grasshopper population.-----------------------------------Ray

• Options

I had owned quite a few of the Daisy's in various types way back when. One of the things I learned at an early age was a high preference for WOODEN stocked guns over the plastic ones.

Growing up in a cold winter climate I found that the plastic often cracked from warm to cold exposure. Not from hard use or accident, just from temperature expansion.

• Options

Although I have asked our Creator for forgiveness many times, there are a plethora of frogs waiting for me on the other side with harsh payback scheduled. 😬

• Options
    grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭

Me too! Add a TON of birds of every description and color (my favorite were bluejays). My brother and I got Daisy "Eagle" BB guns for Christmas in about 1957-8. We became snipers of the first order, even taking out several street lights. The five and dime store made a tidy profit off us, we collected drink bottles to cash in for our ammunition funds.

• Options
    Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭

Many a hopper and bees have fallen victim to the old Daisy...

We had a Sheriff many years ago...That kept a Daisy under the front counter...He was often outside shooting birds and butt shots on guys doing work release... 😲

Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member