In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Tomorrow will be a sad day for me

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

My Cessna 172H has been purchased by a previous owner of the aircraft. They offered me way to much money for me to refuse the sale. I will be looking at a RANS S-12 Sunday so I hope my time confined to the ground will be short.

My plane is awesome, the 160 HP Lycoming 0-320D2J makes this plane get up and go. The extra power over the original Continental 0-300D is amazing. Who knew 15 HP would make such a noticeable improvement in performance.

It will be sad when I sign the FAA bill of sale and hand over the keys to her.

Comments

• NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭

Back to an ultralight, eh? I give it a year and you'll be back in a larger plane!

I had a buddy that had more money than he knew what to do with and he had just gotten his pilots license. He was looking real hard at the Lake Renegade amphib.

Hopefully you won't be stuck down here with the rest of us for too long, Bruce.

• Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******

Well Bruce, I hope it all works out according to plan.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,312 ******

Dam and I thought I had problems, not wanting to sell my 21 year old JD that needs work and won't even start, I bought the newer one about 8 years ago, but just can't bring myself to let the old one go...

• Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,454 ✭✭✭✭

good luck on your new quest. I hope you find what you want . and sounds like you made the right choice in selling or at least the timing

• asopasop Member Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭✭

My Dad told me to stay away from small air planes, motorcycles, fast women and the horses!

• BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,280 ******

Never owned a plane but with your comparison to boats (which I have owned many) I wonder if the old saying holds true.

The best day in a boaters life is the day he buys a new boat. The happiest day in a boaters life is the day he sells his boat!

• bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

Well it is a done deal now, no going back. I deposited the check into my savings and the bank was nice enough to put a hold on every dime of it for seven business days. I can't access any of the funds until the end of the business day 05-11-2021.

Gotta love banks, NOT.

• chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,718 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021

Yep, you are quite correct. Friend of mine purchased a 172 for less than 10K. His real expenses were the cost of fuel, storage, fees, and taxes. Being an A&P, maintenance costs equated to the cost of parts. Lycoming engines are super reliable.

• gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭

Beware of - Post Traumatic Aircraft Syndrome ! 😆

It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭

Seems all recreational vehicles are up in price right now. Supply & Demand.

Lots of folks realized they want to enjoy life after being locked down by repressive local governments.

• bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

I am looking into the Titan Tornado series. Both single and two seater. I like the ROTAX 100 HP engines, they are reliable and proven.

• mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021

Speaking of homebuilt aircraft and ultralights..............I have been wanting to build a Sky Pup for years........just dont have a place to do it........and the price of material right now may turn a $3500 home-build into $7000-$8000.

Very simple........rudder, elevator, and throttle.