In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Why is music so loud you cant here the dialogue?

mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭

I was trying to watch a show today but the music and sound effects literally drowned out the vocals. After attempting to adjust different audio selections I gave up.

Reminds me of other shows I've "seen" where certain scenes are pitch black and may as well not even be filmed LOL.

Go figure, sometimes I think the Movies should have a regular Joe watch and bring up any issues that need editing.

Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!

Comments

• Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭

My wife's hearing is ok & I have hearing aids, but we still use closed captioning. This also helps with the actor's accents & when they talk too fast. Another thing I did was to instal a surround sound system. That way I can lower the music & "noise" from the side speakers & raise the speach, which comes out of the center speaker.

As far as dark scenes, I'm told that is to hide the poor quality of the set background which is not up to HD TVs.

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭

It's difficult to know exactly what the problem is, unless you are familiar with your cable company's technical setup.

Most of us have TV's that are supposed to be 4K, or have a 240 watt refresh rate. But, our cable provider is more worried about signing up new customers than upgrading equipment so that current customers get a good quality signal.

And, you have to feel sorry for companies like Comcast (who owns NBC), but they had to come up with $40 billion cash (that's billion, not million) to buy Europe's Sky network. I think that their offer of $50 billion cash for Time Warner was turned down.

Neal

• Options
    notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭

You may have an adjustment available in your settings.

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,336 ******

What?

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

The commercials are loud

• Options

Some TVs have audio settings specifically for different things. Like sports or music or movies. Go to settings and look for audio. Click on that and see if there's choices. Or maybe your tv doesn't have that.

• Options

Aw crap, I missed that. I walked ten feet away before it hit me.

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,661 ✭✭✭✭

That's so you can hear 'em from the kitchen or bathroom, whichever you head to when it's time for a commercial.

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,202 ✭✭✭✭

The built-in TV speakers are awful. Shows are deliberately mixed to minimize the dialogue and maximize the background sounds/music. Why? beats the hell out of me.

Most sound bars or aftermarket speakers only amplify the mismatch of dialogue and music. To turn the tables, you need a sound bar with computer circuits that do the opposite. The only one I found that does exactly that is the appropriately named ACCUVOICE by ZVOX. Just go to their website and read all about it.

https://zvox.com/pages/accuvoice

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    gruntled2gruntled2 Member Posts: 560 ✭✭✭

What commercials? I record everything & then zap through the commercials at 8 times speed. Now I almost enjoy them.

My problem is with the telephone, I have to have people repeat things several times. I have wondered if maybe a better quality phone would help?

• Options
    Nanuq907Nanuq907 Member Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭

It's possible you have some kind of surround sound turned on, and are sending the "wrong" channels into the speakers where the voices are supposed to be? I had a stereo setup and an audio-video receiver and if I put it on 5-channel Dolby and tried to listen to basic stereo speakers I got all kinds of weird sound.

• Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭

mogley98, with today's music you haven't missed anything by not hearing the dialogue. 😕

It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,987 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,911 ✭✭✭✭

YES-Very same problem here! My techy son even came over to attempt to diagnose how to cut back on all the "background" volumn but to no avail, don't get it😉

• Options
    truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭✭

Hollywood had made it worse with all the music and noise they use in modern movies. And, the tiny speakers in modern thin, big-screen TVs aren't very good. Get a good sound bar at BestBuy or Amazon and direct the audio through that, and disable the TV speakers. Make sure it is a newer sound bar that has the voice enhancement feature. A good sound bar will have several different settings that you can try to see what works best for you.

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,389 ******

The "canned" laugh tracks in the background of most TV sitcoms keeps me from catching most of the punch lines! 😫

Whhhaaaat!!