In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

one lucky fellow to live

Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭

I have seen this fellow on you tube in the past . I think he is one of the popular posters

any way I ran across this last night he was shooting a 50 cal rifle and it blew up . about ending his life

amazing he made it .

just need to watch

Comments

• SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭

That's a bad deal. He does a good job telling the story without exaggerated hype.

I've taken care of people with injuries that required the equipment he describes. He has been through a rough time. He is handling this ordeal really well. Hats off to this man for having the fortitude to do as well as he is and telling the story so well.

And no flinch when he's firing the pistol.

• roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,105 ✭✭✭✭

just put a thumb in it ..

Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭

No doubt he has a Guardian Angel.

• select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
  • ridgleyartridgleyart Member Posts: 937 ✭✭✭✭

Talk about catastrophic failure!

• Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
  • kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭

Absolutely the worst gun blow-up I have ever seen. I am not familiar with that particular firearm but I guess it was an ammunition over-pressure situation, rather than a rifle failure. I'm not sure if a conventional bolt action or semi-auto would have handled it better but I suspect so.

He seems quite philosophical about it, not really assigning any blame or looking for a lawyer to sue somebody. If the breech cap would have knocked him out he would have been dead in minutes. Also had he been alone he would have died.

• BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,278 ******

His description of the ammo used being very old and most likely reloads tells a lot about the causes of this dreadful mishap. I for one do not ever shoot mystery reloads in any caliber! I know nothing about the rifle used here but it sure looks a bit light duty to my eye. I'm sure someone knowledgeable regarding this rifle could correct my observations.

He is very lucky to have survived this experience and I hope he mends well.

• NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭

I just looked up 'SLAP' ammunition. Saboted Light Armor Piercing, 3985 FPS!

A .30 caliber tungsten penetrator in a plastic sabot.

• roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,105 ✭✭✭✭

my guess is the sabot had solidified over time and was not as maleable to the barrel creating some super high pressure

Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭

I don't care for the threaded cap breech block. Reminds me of pipe bomb construction. Also, in an earlier video he mentioned that the barrel was specially set up to handle the SLAP rounds. This involved using a 'machine gun' chamber of looser dimensions.

• BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,278 ******

Having to remove and reinstall a breech plug every time you load a rifle will have wear effects on the threads of said plug. That is a fact!

• gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021

I'm not a doctor, I don't even play one on TV,

Veins carry de-oxygenated BACK to the heart and arteries supply the body and brain with oxygenated blood.

So the claimed stroke threat is suspect.

IMO that rifle design is not only ugly, but there way too much screwing ! He would have been better served with a SS bolt action, IMHO.

It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books