In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Pyro Putty

Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,334 ******

Anyone here have any experience with Pyro Putty? If you do, what say you? Good? Bad? Stick with something else? Seems like decent stuff and has some interesting properties.

Some will die in hot pursuit
And fiery auto crashes
While sifting through my ashes
Some will fall in love with life
And drink it from a fountain
That is pouring like an avalanche
Coming down the mountain

Comments

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

It works well even on wet leaves , pine needles.. Saying about 20 lights per can.

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

It is online in 5 packs for 19.95. Not too expensive

• Options
    Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭

What...Styrofoam and gasoline??? (make it yourself)...

Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭✭

No experience with the putty but have used a lot of the old military trioxane tablets and the newer esbits. Those have worked fine for me. Bob

• Options
    Nanuq907Nanuq907 Member Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭

Cotton lint from the dryer + molten wax = fire starters. Mold them in an egg carton.

Cut your old jeans into 3"x3" squares, dip in wax.

Lunch size bag of potato chips.

These all make great fire starters. And for when "you absolutely positively MUST have a fire tonight" bring a road flare. It will light anything. Keep it under your pillow for bears.

• Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

I ain't paying for that crap when fire starters are so easy to make. Dryer lint, duct tape, most stuff will burn and I can usually start a fire with natural kindling. Just keep Bic lighters handy. My specialty in Boy Scouts was knots and fire starting.

• Options
    chmechme Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭

Couple of years ago I scored a full case of trioxane fuel tabs for $5. Still using them up.

• Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭

Hand sanitizer works good too.

RLTW

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭

frito's corn chips or any of the store brand corn chips will burn. One will last a few minutes on its own......

• Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭

I like to take a plastic snuff can and fill it with petroleum jelly cotton balls.

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭

I camp at Holiday Inn.

• Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭

Lots of good fire starting material to be had or made. Cotton cord dipped in wax, the dryer lent and wax. My brother borrowed my truck a couple of days ago on a rainy day. Him and his girl friend had a state park cabin rented. He used the hand sanitizer and strike any where matches in my truck to start a fire in really damp conditions.

I carry something in my pack all the time. Usually a candle and some of the tube type gel fire starter. I have a lot of stuff made up for fire starting. The cotton cord and wax is a really good one.

• Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

Sounds like a bunch of fire bugs up in here.

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,202 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021

He and his girl friend... Not him. You would not say "Him rented a cabin" would you?

The same goes for the depressingly common "Me and Joe rented a cabin..." It should be "I and Joe..." or to sound a bit better, "Joe and I..."

Otherwise, you sound like a B movie fake Indian. "Ugh. Me start fire."

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,334 ******
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭

me make fire, me cook meat.

Dang Rocky, what would I do without you to tune me up. Careful, remember I read you books, their good, I liked them, but their not perfect. Actually I appreciate the prompts, they actually help remind me of what I know and should use.

But, him and her, her and him are commonly used phrases even if they are wrongly said.

• Options
    thunderboltthunderbolt Member Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭

I think the name was an unfortunate choice. Pyro? It could be banned just for the pyromaniac connotation.

• Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭

pyro-

a combining form meaning “fire,” “heat,” “high temperature,” used in the formation of compound words: pyrogen; pyrolusite; pyromancy.

Chemistry. a combining form used in the names of inorganic acids, indicating that the acid's water content is intermediate between that of the corresponding ortho- (more water) and meta- (least water) acids (pyroantimonic, H4Sb2O7, pyroarsenic, H4As2O7, and pyrosulfuric, H2S2O7, acids). The combining form is also used in the names of the salts of these acids. If the acid ends in -ic, the corresponding salt ends in -ate (pyroboric acid, H2B4O7, and potassium pyrobate, K2B4O7, or pyrosulfuric, H2S2O7, and pyrosulfate, N2S2O7); if the acid ends in -ous, the corresponding salt ends in -ite (pyrophosphorous acid, H4P2O5, potassium pyrophosphite, K4P2O5).

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
This discussion has been closed.