In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

? about 135 gr. cast bullets in 9mm

An FFL that I've used for a couple transfers has contacted me about some new manufactured 9mm with cast bullets that he has in large quantity. What research I've done leads me to believe it might be fine, OR, run the other way. I would be shooting it in a Taurus G3c and a Ruger P85. The price is right, but I'm a little skeptical. Thinking about getting a couple hundred rounds and wanted to see what you guys thought since it seems these projectiles are normally loaded by hand loaders only.

Thanx in advance for any input or advice.

Arrivederci gigi

Comments

• Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

That bullet weight falls within the normal weights for 9mm and I do not see any problem using them. Sometimes the shape of the bullet nose of lead bullets gives feeding problems in some pistols. Round nose jacketed bullets is what the 9mm was designed for military use. Anything else is try-and-see if it works.

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

Are you asking about loading a 135gr bullet or are these loaded rounds using a 135 gr cast bullet?

If they are factory loaded 135's in new cases, well okay then. If some Johnny B. Good loaded them in his garage and is selling them, I would be very cautious.

• Options
    Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

as you stated they are new manufacture , I assume it is by a proper ammo loading company, if so 135 grain will be a good load as to weight as it falls right between 124's and 147's , several of my 9's shoot better with 124's so I would definitely try some first, if they seem good to you and are of a reasonable cost BUY them.

• Options
    sxsnufsxsnuf Member Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭

Thanx for the response folks. I'm not sure who the manufacturer is. He just said they were new, not reloads. At .50 a round, I believe I'll go ahead, get a couple hundred and test for function before I would purchase more. I expect the Taurus to be pickier than the Ruger. It's an ammo eating TANK! My concern was with leading the barrel as I've never shot cast in an auto loader. I'll let you know how they work.

Arrivederci gigi