In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Why Science and Experience Command That You Buy an 'Assault Rifle'

Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,260 ******
edited May 2021 in Politics

This article is good and you should read it, if you haven't before. I'm not privileged enough to not own an "assault rifle".

Some will die in hot pursuit
And fiery auto crashes
While sifting through my ashes
Some will fall in love with life
And drink it from a fountain
That is pouring like an avalanche
Coming down the mountain

Comments

• Options
    Nanuq907Nanuq907 Member Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021

I thought about that awhile, comparing the assault rifle to my 12ga Mossberg and 00 Buck.

My son in law made the observation that a mag of 7.62 rounds will send way fewer projectiles downrange than emptying my Mossberg ... there you're talking 7mm balls, 9 to 15 balls each, times 7 shells. That's 60ish to 105ish projectiles.

I guess if my targets are grouped up, it works.

• Options

And they have to be close. I prefer they be held further at bay.

And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭

"I thought about that awhile, comparing the assault rifle to my 12ga Mossberg and 00 Buck."

If "they" get close enough for buckshot to be effective, most of my plans have failed. Allowing your enemy to approach within a range that his weapons are effective is bound to end in failure.

• Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

Following that reasoning why no go to #4 buckshot??

"What makes #4 buck so popular for home defense? Penetration versus power is the scale of balance in home defense. Too much penetration, and you’re going to go through your target and damage property or the people behind it. Too little power, and you’re less likely to stop someone if they are set on reaching you.

There are many different buckshot sizes and uses, so it's good to know that #4 buckshot caliber offers a good balance between number of pellets, pellet size, penetration and stopping power. With a pellet count commonly between 21 and 24 of .24-inch lead balls traveling at about 1,200 feet per second, a serious impression will be made on your target. When comparing 4 buckshot vs. 00 buckshot, #4 is somewhat less powerful than 00 buck, which is used by most law enforcement agencies in their shotguns. However, they are more likely to engage their targets at longer range than the average homeowner."

• Options
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain