In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Anyone seeing ammo back on the shelf

montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,893 ******

Comments

• toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭

Yep, in the last month or so, local retailers have been getting a good assortment of it. I've even been able to buy 300 and 6.5 PRC, 10mm, 5.7x25, and numerous 9mm and 45. Went thru Hamilton Montana last week, and they were about 30% higher than normal retail, but they were limiting quantities on ammo to 3 cases per person, with a 3 chambering limit.

• Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,454 ✭✭✭✭

I just watched several you tubers showing store shelfs full of just about every caliber ( one always brags he goes every day buys his two boxes his wife goes gets her two boxes every day also ) some were at at rural king , academe , and similar places prices were still high but not crazy high .

I have noticed on the internet ammo search engines ) lots more is showing up and the price is dropping not as fast as it went up ( of course )

but at the local wally world ( I had a DR. app. today ) my only close place to buy ammo the shelfs were empty . but they have the same group every day cleaning them out ( most likely to resell )

I will buy more ( I hope ) when it settles down a bit more I have bought maybe 1500 rounds over the last three months not much at all but really picking and choosing the best prices I can find. no way i am paying a dollar or two on up a round for ammo that was 15 cents to 50 cents not long ago

also watch shipping not that most of you need reminded some what seem to be good deals the shipping pushes the prices way beyond a good deal and some sellers will not give you shipping price until the last thing when checking out, I could not say how many times I backed out after seeing a 20- 25 shipping charge on a couple boxes ( which was a limit set by the seller on how many you could get

• mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******

Very little American made ammo here. 9mm? Impossible to obtain. What is available is steel cased Russian ammo selling at triple the old price.

• SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭

I haven't been on any ammo searches so the only place I've noticed is the local farm store ammo self is still empty.

• select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
  • discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭

seeing more ammo choices on the online retailers, prices dropping ever sl slowly, but dropping! supply might not be the best, but that is improving also. apparently a very large shipment of foreign ammo has arrived and being discounted a little also. sales are brisk on this as i see it. i've been buying a little here a little there, taking advantage of free shipping, as i am looking at 7 calibers,. i am not hoarding...yet

• GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭

Not here. Did see a box of shotgun shells.🙄

• kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭

Yes....odd and ends for the most part. My buddy found .380 today at Bass Pro as well as some CCI .22. I found some 9mm and .17 HMR there yesterday....

Tracking prices on GB, it seems to me the prices are slowly coming down...

• Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭

Local web discussions seem to indicate the farm stores are getting ammo at not ungodly prices.

I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭✭

Im seeing ammo trickling in, but no primers or powder

• Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******

Only on rare occasion. I was able to find some 12 gauge pretty randomly, but you have to know when the shipment comes in to get any 9mm, and then it's just whatever FMJ they have.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    edited May 2021

I see plenty on my shelves. I need to shoot more.

The ammo I have purchase during the last year has all been at the old usual prices.....

• buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭✭

I was in Academy last week and there were shelves full of 223 and the 100 boxes of 12 gauge birdshot.Nobody seemed to pay all that ammo much attention so it must be coming back locally.I also noticed that the ammo scalpers have dropped prices.

• truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭✭

Still seeing plenty of 20ga shotgun and a few 12ga. Rifle ammo, when available, is all brands I never heard of and just a few boxes of each.

• mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭

Same As JMDeere here, plenty on my shelves and closets

Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • claysclays Member Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭✭

Went to the local flea market here on the NC & Ga line yesterday for the first time in a year. Lots of ammo & long guns for sell, but the prices were extremely high. I saw a lone box of Remington shells on a table and went over to take a look , low and behold, they were 270WSM, just what I needed. Got them for $40.

• 4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021

Walley world in Harriman, NY two huge cases empty for over three months. Nada, nothing, zilch. Same story in Middletown, NY. Both well stocked in pellet guns and ammo ----------------------------------Ray

PS: Yes I took Ken and others advice here and stood in line years ago at Davis Sporting Goods and hauled off Federal ammo by the case load that was on fire sale.

• chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,718 ✭✭✭✭

Starting to see ammo again but when 9mm is selling for around $30 a box, people are not buying it unless they are totally out or are new gun owners. Before this crap started, 9mm was going for around $10 a box. 223 is plentiful as well, but again $20 a box. Unless people really want the ammo, it sits.

Most regular shooters have plenty already and will start buying again when the prices come back down to earth,

Powder too is showing up, but no primers. After a conversation with one of the manufacturers, primers are going toward ammo production. Once demands for ammo abate, we will start seeing primers. Dont expect demand for ammo to abate any time soon.

One last note: expect powder to go up around $2-$5 per lb. over last years costs.

• bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭

Thankfully I foresaw this coming 18 months ago when the pandemic first hit the USA. I bought enough of the stuff like .22lr that I would likely shoot for a couple of years. I bought a bunch of powder and I thought enough bullets. I then set my single stage to load 10mm. A LOT of 10mm.

I do wish I could get some .220 Swift as I had just gotten another one again as the ammo started shooting up (pun intended).

Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭

Very little and no way I’m paying close to $50 for a box of fmj 9mm. My friend who works at the local indoor range says people (idiots) are still buying it. Sadly the days of $8 a box 9mm are gone. I have a ton of bullets, brass, primers and cases in .44, .45 and .38. And a lot of .22LR. So that’s what is going to be used for the foreseeable future. Gonna be at least 2 more years til prices and supply stabilize unless we have some more craziness.

edited May 2021

I was at a local indoor range today to sight in a dot sight....they now for the first time in over a year have ammo you can buy to use on their range...There were more folks there today than I have seen in a long time too...

• BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,280 ******

At our local Walmart yesterday I saw quite a few different caliber rifle shells on the shelf and had a choice over 4 brands of 22 LR. I bought 3 boxes of Federal 375 count hollow points which was the limit. Paid 17.73 a box. Had to wait quite a while at the empty sporting goods counter. The guy working there was responsible for several departments which is typical at WM. I sure didn't mind the wait though! 🙂

• papernickerpapernicker Member Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭

I recently bought a .243. and have found a few boxes at 30$ +/- A couple weeks ago I spot a $18 box at WM and again yesterday, but up a dollar.