In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

2004 Ram 1500 help

montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,025 ******

Engine light came on tonight. Steady on, no flashing. All gauges show normal.

Watched several u-tube videos, all showing the same way to retrieve codes without scanner. The key ON/OFF 3 times trick.

Tried it on mine. Nothing, no codes,does not show 'done' either. Tried several times. Help??

Comments

• Options
    redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,686 ✭✭✭✭

Spend $50 and get a cheap scanner. Then let me know what codes are showing.

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,574 ✭✭✭✭

Most all auto parts places will do scan for free give you the codes and suggest what you need

Or as suggested pick up a inexpensive scanner you can do your own scanning

I have three ....both my son's borrowed one so I had to get the third one for me

• Options
    Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,358 ******

As mentioned above most any vehicle newer than 1995 can be read for free at any of the major auto parts stores.

• Options
    varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭

imho the very best thing to do is have it scanned and analyzed. the guessing game of parts replacement can be and usually is very expensive.

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021

only thing about parts stores, at least around here, they will read the codes and tell you what it says, but are not supposed to erase the codes, so the check engine light will remain on, if you buy one of the scanners you can erase the code and get rid of the light....... especially if you plan on keeping the truck a few more years

• Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

"Erasing" the light is not fixing anything. Yes the auto parts store will read the codes and sell you a wiz bang sensor. Keep the old ones cause after buying and installing three or four different sensors you will still have to have someone, maybe a skilled mechanic, DIANOSE the problem so that it can be repaired. Often throwing parts at a problem creates a problem different that the one you started with and when the vehicle finally gets to a mechanic, they have to unravel the mess. Far better to have a mechanic you trust. Yes he will charge you but in the long run your time and the money wasted on unneeded parts may be more costly. Either way, GOOD LUCK!! It sucks when your ride breaks.

• Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭

Check the gas cap. A loose gas cap with throw a 'check engine' code.

• Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭

Code readers just read the code that is thrown and not necessarily the problem. My truck was throwing codes for misfire on cyl 2 and lean on left and right bank. It also showed that the emissions system was faulty. I put a fuel pump in the truck and fixed everything. Don

• Options
    varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭

thats why i said to have the code and truck analyzed by a qualified mech. im lucky that i have a good friend in the industry, best mechanic i have ever seen, goes beyond thorough. lots of codes dont necessarily point you directly to the problem. much better and less expensive to have it properly diagnosed the first time.

• Options
    edited May 2021

thanks all.

But, why won't the key on/off thing bring up the codes or show done???

I plan to go get a scanner today and try it. Had a good scanner, but like DR, I gave it to my son.

• Options
    edited May 2021

Went to local parts house. They put it on their scanner. Code PO 128 thermostat sensor. He cleared the code and the engine light went off.

Probably a good time to have cooling system drain,flushed, replace thermostat and hoses.

Thanks all.

Still don't know why codes wouldn't come up with the key method. Oh well.

• Options
    notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭

I call it witch doctoring. I'm really good at it which means I'm terrible at it but do it anyway. One thing, don't ever try it on a Honda. A new throttle body costs $1300 for a'07 crv. But the experience was free.

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

Wondering when this electric stuff gets going How many folks will get shocked testing and fooling with them

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,574 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021

before I bought a scanner local parts places would not clear a code told me people would blame them for erasing the entire program in the ecm but would leave it pugged in and let me do the erasing of the old code .

last couple I bought ( my sons have ) were upgradeable thru the internet for free

I have also head of ones now ( several years now ) that you plug in to the port on the vehicle and use your phone to access info and there very inexpensive compared to most

I watch a fellow on youtube in NY on occasion I think its south main auto ? but he seems to to be a decent fellow and great on repairs he know his way around the vehicles it easy to see his confidence and common sense ,, but he also has a snap on system that most likely cost more then my truck