In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Semiautomatic Pistols

JimBobJimBob Member Posts: 4

Until I came to own 3 Glocks: 17, 31, 43X, I had nothing but trouble with semi automatic pistols. I have owned the SW Victory, Ruger Mark IV, and two Kimber Micro Nines. In each case, no matter which type, quality, or grain ammo used, I experienced jamming, stove-piping, even magazines popping out (the Kimbers). I traded or sold them all, settled on Glocks, which have never failed me.

Now I’m hesitant to purchase any other brand. Surely there are other reliable makes out there. But what are they? I’d really like to own other brands as well. Any recommendations for reliability.

Comments

• Options
    JimBobJimBob Member Posts: 4

Just never had any trouble with my Glocks, but figured there must be others just as reliable. Maybe not. I like to shoot but don’t care to troubleshoot or experiment to make them keep firing.

• Options
    ridgleyartridgleyart Member Posts: 937 ✭✭✭✭

Besides my glocks I've had good luck with my Springfields.

• Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,834 ✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forums!

You will get lots opinions on Glock on this forum.

I shoot USPSA with a Glock 34. We are the red-headed step children of race guns. People will gladly spend $3-10,000 dollars for “better” guns and they usually trade overall “performance” for reliability.

Glock has never once failed me during a match. And I simply won’t trade that for a crisper trigger, or a heavier gun and reduced felt recoil, etc.

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭

Ain't nothin' wrong with using the Glocks if that's what works for you.

I use a Glock 35 or a 23 in defensive pistol competitions and the 23 as a carry gun. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

• Options
    US Military GuyUS Military Guy Member Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭✭

I have 19 different pistols. All of them work just fine for me . . . except the Glock 19. I can't get that thing to shoot a magazine without at least one stoppage (failure to feed, failure to fire, failure to extract). A certified Glock service representative "could not duplicate the problem".

Usually, when I get a new shooter with one of my pistols and they have "difficulty", the first thing I find is "shooting with a weak wrist". Please don't take this wrong, but you must hold a pistol with a very firm grip. It needs to cycle the action and has problems doing it, if there is not sufficient stability to recoil against.

This is rarely a problem with the smaller calibers since the weight of the gun is normally enough. It can be a significant issue with lighter guns in a centerfire caliber and large caliber guns.

The gas operated recoil system on the Desert Eagle is not a problem. On the other hand - it weighs a ton and you have to hold on tight anyway.

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,653 ******

“shooting with a weak wrist"

This ^^^^^^^^^^

• Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021

I really like the third generation Smiths and my 1076 will feed the flat nose 10mn bullets where the Glock 20 won't

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭

I'm partial to SIG's, especially those with a steel frame. Sometimes I want to apply the safety, something you can't do with a Glock.

Neal

• Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭

P-Series Rugers if you can find them.You can use them for jack stands on your tractor and they will still work,with any ammo and be about as accurate as most of us shoot.

• Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭

You should try Sigs, Walthers, Rugers, Brownings, Colts........................but especially Jennings. You need a Jennings J-22.

• Options
    redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭✭

My Sigs and HK's have never failed me.

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,001 ******
  • Options

Sigs - CHECK (P-226 & 1911-45-BSS)

Walthers - CHECK (PPK)

Rugers - CHECK (KMK-512 & MK II & Standard)

Brownings - CHECK (P-38 Hi-Power & 1911-22)

Colts - CHECK (M-1911 & M-1911 A1 & M-1911 A1 NM)

Jennings (J-22) - CHECK (yep, the J-22 with "custom" walnut grips just to make it even better)

Picking my favorite would be like picking your favorite child (although it is fairly easy to place the J-22 "somewhere" on the list).

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭

"If you can be happy with a glock, you should enjoy almost anything."

^^agree^^

"P-Series Rugers if you can find them.You can use them for jack stands on your tractor and they will still work,with any ammo and be about as accurate as most of us shoot."

^^Bet your life on it--I do^^

• Options
    carrie2carrie2 Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭

Berretta!

Kentucky born and raised!
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭

My first thought too. May not be the issue but certainly needs considered.

• Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021

Kimber autos were really awful when they first started making them. It was a few years later when they finally got them working.

The only time I have ever seen Ruger MKs fail is when the gun was so full powder residue and dirt. Yea..I know taking them apart is a *. The ones that failed, I sprayed CLP on the bolt and it started working again. Advised owner to clean.

SW autos, well they are picky. I am of the genre if you want a revolver, buy SW, If you want an auto, buy Colt. The new M&Ps however are awesome.

If you want to go cheap: Go HiPoint. Avoid anything Taurus

• Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

I have never had any trouble with S&W pistols. The old metal guns ran great. I remember one 4506 that would feed empty cases from a mag. I have sold a lot of second and third gen S&W pistols in 9 mm, .40, and .45 and don't remember having any problems. I bought over 20 4506's and 4516's at one time. I wish I had those now, they are bringing good money. I know some depts. kept 5906's for years before trading for Glocks. Before Glock showed up with a cheaper, lighter gun, most cops has a S&W pistol in their holsters. The 3913 and 469 series guns are great concealed carry options, and S&W turned out some fantastic Performance Center metal pistols. The 952 will spoil you for most any other pistol out there.

• Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭

I like Glocks but I think my favorite semi auto now is a H&K USP45. That thing is just sweet to shoot.

S&W made some really nice SA pistols, I had a 4506 and it was great, I wish I had it back. The only S&W SA I have now is a 3913 and its a great gun.

The weak point of any Semi Auto is the magazine. Like Ricci said get good ones and take care of them.

RLTW

• Options
    steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭

Glock, Colt 1911 and Sig 938 work great for me

• Options
    roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,124 ✭✭✭✭

i have some smith and Wesson revolvers that I love at the range

semi autos are glocks and one sig an older Walter

me I just prefer a wheel gun at the side of the bed

Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭

How flat? I only shoot jacketed, and some lower power plated bullets through my 10mm's and I have never had an issue with any of the Glock's. Actually, out of my extensive 10mm collection, the only design I've ever had reliability issues that I couldn't get completely resolved were of 1911 design. I am not bashing them, they are beautiful guns, and feel good in the hand. I have a dozen or two (all in 10mm, because why have anything less?). Most of those having issues were simply too tight and needed shot. I had a Kimber Stainless Target II that always gave me trouble. I found out after I sold it (but before he left with it) that it was the magazines. I had 4 Kimber mags, and they were all junk. I had an old E.A.A. / Tanfoglio Witness that needed the "fluff and buff" polishing of frame rails and it became reliable.

Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,476 ✭✭✭✭

Have never had a failure to do anything with any of these. Of course they were all fairly well broken in when purchased.

Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options

If any of them are broken too badly, let me know. I maybe interested in taking them off your hands . . . for, you know, old broken pistol prices.

🤣

• Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,453 ✭✭✭✭

Any flat nose jacketed or hard cast above 180 grains and any thing above 200 grain I get nice triangles in the targets past 20 yards it doesn't stabilize anything above 200 grains unless I shoot the water down loads and this is my second G20 that done this at least the first one did feed a little better

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭

How many rounds of hard cast do you have down the pipe. Glock recommends only jacketed bullets for Gens 1-4. The new barrel in the Gen 5's is supposed to be alright with lead. Maybe you've got some build-up in there that's plugging up the works.

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,275 ******

It's all been said but allow me to reiterate:

Glock

SIG

FN

Smith & Wesson's newer offerings

HK

Walther

CZ

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,430 ✭✭✭✭

Semiautomatic pistols? That's old school. I have a semiautomatic revolver that I'll have listed on the auction side this summer.

😀

It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,275 ******
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,430 ✭✭✭✭

Lucky guess, Mr. Perfect! I have a NIB, SS, .357 that I plan on listing. That was the reason about shipping insurance post a month ago. One sold on the auction side on 3-28-21 for $10K+. It was used and blued instead of SS and NIB.

Get your checkbooks out guys.

😉

It's too late for me, save yourself.