In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Accuracy

jb4lcmjb4lcm Member Posts: 119 ✭✭
edited May 2021 in General Discussion

Here are 5 different rounds of .223 soft point I own. Sometimes I'll get a flier off target like 2" at 100 yards - which could be me - but do you see anything here that could/would effect the bullet's accuracy? Close up - I see irregularities in the lead.

Comments

• steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭

The first picture looks terrible. I have no doubt that you can get fliers with bullets that look like that. Try some polymer tipped or hollow points and see if your groups tighten.

• RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭

223 Remington and 5.56x 45mm take a .224 bullet.

• select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

absolutely will affect accuracy. Buy better poly tipped ammo or hp as mentioned.

• Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭✭

If you want consistent accuracy you need to reload for such and do consistent reloading.

Shooting all different type types of ammo and expecting consistent accuracy from a 223 is dreaming, but more like nightmares for reality.

• BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,472 ✭✭✭✭

Even with the damage to the tips 2" seems like an awful lot. You could try sorting out the unblemished rounds and see if you still get the flyers with them. Do you have a good rest that supports both the front and back of your rifle? I sometimes use one to get rid of operator error when doing an accuracy check. The most common ones are the lead sled family but there are better ones on the market. Bob

• asopasop Member Posts: 8,910 ✭✭✭✭

Oakie-Right on. A guy I have shot and hunted with for MANY years always competes in the Nationals and normally finishes in the top 3. He obviously reloads but is meticulous about it. Weights every load, powder and primers from same batch, sizes every shell, keeps everything in a temp. controlled environment bah-bah-bah.

• jb4lcmjb4lcm Member Posts: 119 ✭✭
    edited June 2021

Well, "consistency" has a wide interpretation. I'm not gonna start reloading .223 ammo. I am not looking to put the bullet in the same hole time after time. Some here may think that is the only "correct" definition of accuracy. it's not mine.

The point of the post/question is about the common bullet in a factory load having the obvious variants due to dropping in collection bins causing dents in the lead, interesting crowns on lead that do not match the contours of the copper, etc. , and a reasonable expectation therein.

If such ammo includes such wild ones in the same box that will produce such variants - then that is what should be reviewed here. To ME - the suggestion of examining each round for inconsistencies and weeding out the bad ones has the most value.

While some of the boxes are identified as "Premium", is there a tolerance (+/-) published by folks like Federal?