In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How difficult is it?

Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,362 ******

I searched but didn't find much in forums about the questions I have on 80% lowers for AR-15.

1. how difficult to finish them?
  2. What tools are a must have?
  3. Is it worth the effort in your opinion?
  4. How many have you completed successfully? and any fails?
  5. Any other input?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭✭

Like FCD I don't have any hands on experience doing one. I do have an acquaintance at the shooting club that is an AR enthusiast and he has completed 2 of them that I know of. Both of them shoot as good as his factory built guns. I asked him a year or so ago about the difficulty and he said he learned how to do it watching YouTube videos. He said if you have a good jig all that is required is a drill press and a machinists vise. I don't recall what brand of jig he used but I know there are several on the market. He also didn't skimp on parts like the trigger, bcg or barrel and I am sure that contributes to the good accuracy results he achieved. He said if he had gone cheap and had poor results he would have been stuck with it because he couldn't legally sell it to anyone. Sounds like fun and an easily accomplished challenge but I don't need another AR. Bob

• Options

Flying Clay Disk Thank you FCD! this is exactly the kind of info I was looking for! Like your friend I was thinking it would be a fun thing to do! I don't know, maybe this is a taboo topic or something... Folks don't want to admit they've tried this? I really thought that this place full of all this knowledge would have had a lot more to say even if the info was second hand... anyways thank you again sir for your response! I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a pretty good deal on 5 of these Anderson 80% and just wanted to get some feedback, I have a few things that the big G doesn't have a record of, but this deal is more about saving the cost of ffl and having something to do in my retirement than avoiding the Gov.

• Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭

If you have the jig, a good router with carbide bit and patience not hard at all. This is one in

the white. I will Cerocoat and ad KNS anti rotation pins as I don't anodize.

• Options

Thank you FCD, Bob and RobOz ! I'll check out the YouTube videos. Looks like I'll be doing it as I won the auction last night.

• Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭

Get them while you can guys.

😕

It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭✭

It could also be a case of well deserved paranoia considering the current tides of political uncertainty. Bob

• Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭

I agree BobJudy. We have had boating accidents in the past but they are more previlent this year. I'm glad I got rid of all of mine. They are the devil's tool.

It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,600 ✭✭✭✭

I have watched a buddy of mine work the process.....he has done well with them...

I know myself well enough that I would screw up the process so unlikely I ever try one myself...😛

• Options

RobOz what jig are you using? there seems to be quite a few out there...

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,336 ******

There are lots of instructional vids on youtube. If you have a drill press, and a decent jig you can do it just fine. It will impart unusual stress on your drill press, so be advised. Drill presses are not meant for sideways loading like a router or milling machine is, but for limited runs of 1 to 2 lowers you will be fine.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,581 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021

I think you tube banned all video's about building of modifying guns ( at least took away any money they could have gotten ) but I have not looked

my youngest son did at least one I know of seemed easy enough get the right fixture and tools which are all over the internet he had a fixture and a hand held router worked great

I have " leggo built about a dozen AR style rifles on factory lowers ) I have thought about doing a 80% just to say I did

JMHO if you are familiar with basic tools you can do one

as for me the cost of a stripped lower factory finished is just too inexpensive for a long time 40 or 50.00 and I will guess drop back down again about 100.00 ? seems common now but the cost of a 80% lower and the tools and time not worth the effort worried about the back ground check many states still do face to face sales easy to pick up one and never have any thing with your name tied to it

• Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭

The one that 80% lowers sells. It belongs to a friend. I'll try to get the model number off of him tomorrow.