In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Build me an AR-15

Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,345 ******

Usage: Mostly just targets here on my property but could be used against varmints 4 legged or 2...

Cost: Within reason, don't need or want the best, just a reliable 5.56 shooter.

Constraints: Starting with an Anderson striped receiver.

So what additional parts do you recommend?

Comments

• Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,834 ✭✭✭✭

I would hit up PSA get a lower parts kit, trigger of your choice and whatever upper is on sale.

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,260 ******

Just buy a S&W Sporter and call it good.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options

"Just buy a S&W Sporter and call it good."

I already have one of those and several Ruger versions of 5.56... This is about me putting together an AR from a lower I am finishing, just for the fun of it! But thank you for such an insightful response.

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******

Anderson's are decent. Regardless, any rifle is only as good as its trigger and related parts, so don't skimp there. It's better to but a top quality trigger into an Anderson receiver than to drop a cheap trigger into a high dollar receiver.

• Options
    hdcolt51hdcolt51 Member Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭

I would recommend a CMC drop in trigger they offer a 2.5,3.5,4.5 lb flat or curved.I have several 3.5 flat triggers work great.A cmmg LPK,magpul K2+ grip.Buffer tube and spring,many choices (quality)you get what you pay for... they all work.If you are building the upper,Anderson makes a decent one at a reasonable price,many to choose from.I like the NIB WMD bolts carriers and a BCM 3L charging handle.So many barrels to choose from if they are in stock.(Faxon,Ballistic advantage,Roscoe barrels good stuff) I like a 16 in. mid length gas but carbine is fine 1-7,1-8 twist.BCM or Midwest industries handguard.Or just get a PSA complete upper.

• Options
    redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭✭

Warbirds nailed it.

• Options
    mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭

prices are dropping

• Options
    jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,206 ✭✭✭✭

Back a couple years ago I built several in the $350-$400 range with good Freedom uppers. Prices went batsheet crazy and I am setting on a half dozen lowers until prices drop or they will never be built.

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭

As Mark mentioned, Anderson is (or was) a good enough lower and you need a good FCG to produce a good shooter.

I'm seeing LPK's(lower parts kits) w/o FCG or grip for $30-40. Even see some name brand(doesn't necessarily mean better parts) complete LPK for $50-60. CMMG standard FCG is usually pretty decent as is PSA EPT hammer/trigger set. If you want something a bit better than mil-spec trigger pull, ALG ACT is a good choice for not much more than the PSA EPT. By swapping in a KAW lightweight spring kit ($2 on sale if you're already buying other parts from AR 15 Discounts) you can have a very manageable trigger BUT you might get a double tap now and then if you're not versed on AR trigger control.

I don't really care for the typical mil-spec grip with the single finger ledge. Doesn't fit my fingers. There are many choices for grips or just file off that obnoxious lump and wrap what's left with grip tape.

• Options

Thank you all Folks! This is the kind of input I'm looking for. I have experience with the major mfgs completed ARs but not with piecing one together from scratch. Warbirds , mark christian , hdcolt51 , jltrent and Mobuck you all have given me things to consider and some brands to research so again thank you all very much!

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭

I being of sound mind and lack of funds 😁

went auction shopping for parts( GB and flebay ) and watched for sales I bought several drop in trigger sets of various brands and 4 or 5 Timny triggers off fle bay when they were selling such items even several barrels in 5.56, 300 black out 308 , many hand guards gas tubes gas blocks and spring and detent sets . PSA among others would have weekly specials Anderson would have sales on uppers and lowers watching the sales and specials help keep cost down same with scopes and sights

I did not really track how much I put in to any one of them but not being in a hurry and picking and choosing I think I did well

I have never tried to do any serious target shooting just have not found the time to give it the attention it needs but I doubt any would do sub moa . now " sub "things going bump bump in the night is a different story I know they will do that they all feed and shoot as there suppose too I did run a few hundred rounds thru them to make sure of reliability

good luck

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******

You don't need to spend huge money to have a great shooting Ar. A neighbor, thanks to his wife's inheritance, bought a very expensive LWRC piston driven rifle. It's a masterpiece of engineering. In fit in finish, it rivals my SIG-Sauer MCX. The problem with the LWRC is that despite it staggering price, it doesn't shoot much better than my Palmetto .

• Options
    oldWinchesterfanoldWinchesterfan Member Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

I like the Rock River LPK with their match trigger, bought together can save some money. Here’s an example but I’ve seen them under $100, but that was a while ago.

Quality lower parts kit with significant upgrade from standard trigger for a reasonable cost.

Good luck!

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭

PSA has some complete (minus the lower) packages with the "EPT" trigger upgrade at very reasonable prices this week. Their barrels are what I'd call OK but not in the class with ROSCO, Ballistic Advantage, or FAXON. Plenty good enough for "minute of bump in the night".