In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

A Couple Questions For Electric Motor Guys

Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,466 ***** Forums Admin

I have an AC motor that runs on 120V. The specs say it draws 300 watts, therefore it will pull 2.5A. The RPMs are 3450. Is there a way I can calculate torque, so I am able to calculate horsepower?

Second question: Does anyone know of a source for a switchable reversing motor that is a bit more HP than what I have? It would need to be a 1/2" shaft at a minimum. May be able to get by with a 3/8" shaft, but the current motor has a 12mm shaft.

TIA for input.

Comments

• Options
    Wild TurkeyWild Turkey Member Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭✭

Bing gave me this:

How to Calculate Electric Motor Torque. Watts = volts * amps. 1HP (horsepower) = 746 watts. Torque (T) = ((HP(horsepower) / RPM (rotations per minute))) * 63,025 (constant) 1. Find the wattage from a motor that has the following nameplate data on its metal tag; 120 Volts at 10 amperes with a 3600-RPM.

came up with 7 lb-in ??????

Electric Motor Torque Calculation Formula & Torque Calculator Online | Electrical4u

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,466 ***** Forums Admin
  • Options
    OkieOkie Member Posts: 991 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2021

AND if you want a replacement motor with the same external frame dimensions (mechanical dimensions) go by the FRAME number that is on the nametag. Once you start looking at motors with the same frame number you can compare the shaft size, length, mounting configuration. Sometimes you will see additional letter at the end of a frame number for example you might have a 48Z but a replacement is a 48. Pay attention to this because for example the shaft length may be slightly different. If you do not have a nametag with the motor specs you are well kinda hit and miss. Be careful at Graingers and keep your money in your pocket until you are sure what you are buying is what you want, they sometimes get it wrong on a cross reference replacement.

Graingers catalog if still available had a section about motor frames dimensions with pictures, etc if their catalog is still available.

The Frame number does not give you (relate to) electrical specs, just mechanical.

• Options
    grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭✭

^^^^^^^^^What Okie said. Confused yet? 😲