In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

First Fawn of the Year

NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,733 ✭✭✭✭

Cute little bugger.

Comments

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,105 ******
  • Options
    Nanuq907Nanuq907 Member Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭

Pretty l'il cuss. It's a neat thing about being here, all the moose locally drop their calves within the same week or so, to outnumber the hungry bears. There are so many calves running around that some make it.

We've had a little mooselet with his mama hanging around these last couple weeks and we're rooting for him. But we also saw a brown bear sniffing around at 3:30 this morning. Mama shows some nasty scars from a bear encounter, the odds are sadly not in their favor.

• Options
    pingjockeypingjockey Member Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭✭

Sadly, moose population in Idaho is down considerably since the "reintroduction" of that cuddly little wolf.

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,466 ***** Forums Admin

Why that has got to be one of the ugliest animals I have ever seen. Almost as ugly as a puppy.

• Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭

Nice picture.

I have been seeing fawns since early APR. I posted about the deer population where I live. There are more deer this year and fawns than I have seen in 10 years living here. I used to have 2 guys who hunted behind my place. The hunted my property and some state land but neither hunted this year. They would usually get 4-5 deer each.

I stopped feeding the deer because there are so many just hanging around. They cannot get in the garden but they sure are eyeing up and down, licking their chomps. My dogs chase them off but they just come right back.

I have seen at least 4 doe with twins this year too. I would estimate there are between 40-60 deer that come through my area at least daily in groups of 7-12. There are even a few young bucks in the group, most are spikes or maybe a fork horn still in velvet and small. These deer are all small deer 90-120 pounds not much more.

RLTW

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,282 ✭✭✭✭

Something is wrong with the deer herd here in the NC mountains. Normally in June I would have 12 to 14 deer sightings per day. A doe and two fawns at 9 am, then later, two does and 3 fawns, later in the afternoon one doe with one fawn, and so on.

This year the deer are gone! I have seen two deer in the past 4 months. Have not seen a fawn this year.

Either the blue tongue has kicked in with a vengeance, or we have had some local boys get real serious about the poaching in the past 4 months.

• Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭

Nice. I live in Austin, and the west part of the city is deer habitat. Sometimes my brother has them in his yard. He has encountered some aggressive and protective does while walking his dog. Does protecting their fawns in front yards.

• Options
    Nanuq907Nanuq907 Member Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭

Wait for me mama! This is the front yard.