In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

This one is a mess and a good lesson

WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭

Really tragic incident.

Man decides to kill “as many police officers as possible”

Man kills one police officer

Armed citizen engaged and kills bad guy.

Armed citizen is then killed by responding police officer.

I don’t share this in any sort of “anti-police” intention. It should be food for thought for all armed citizens.

Comments

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,603 ✭✭✭✭

sad

I hope to never be in the same situation

I have heard countless times if you get involved in any shooting get on the phone make sure the dispatch knows who which one you are . wearing a red shirt my gun is on the ground ( if possible ) do not shoot me I am am the good guy have the responding officer acknowledge I am the good guy . I will be the one with my hands held up the gun in a safe place away for me ( of course theyt may not be possible . but do all you can to let them know you are the good guy ..

I have read stories of LEO showing up on a break in call the home owner is shot by the cops for having a gun in his hand di not hear the command to put down the gun ( hard of hearing )

I understand the pressure the leo are under and want to go home that night .

if it god for bid I am killed in such a manner I hope my family (when the dust and lawyers settle )owns the city and all property and future income they ever hope to get for the cops mistake of killing me

same if they shoot my dog(s) just because . it would not end well

• Options
    sxsnufsxsnuf Member Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭

Sad, sad story indeed. I'm sure this will be monday morning quarterbacked ad infinitum. Bottom line, as I see it, whatever mistakes Hurley made, his intervention saved lives.

RIP

Arrivederci gigi
  • Options
    Floyd621Floyd621 Member Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭✭

His family are gonna be rich..I bet lawyers are already filing papers...they need to sue the crap out of them.. everyone else does..

• Options
    Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,378 ******

You shoot the sob and then call the Popos and identify your self and do not become a treat to them, didn't you already say this in a previous post?

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,257 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021

He shot the bad guy, I am not sure why he decided to pick up the AR, and be holding it when the cops arrived. They don't know what is what, obviously the cops would see him as the Psycho.

This civilian made a heroic move to kill the bad guy, but then he screwed up. He knew there was only one bad guy and he had killed him. He knew that numerous cops are on the way. He should have dropped the AR and his pistol.

Very sad situation. Good Lord what a tough deal being a cop these days.

Reminds me of Wild Bill Hickok. When he was a young Sheriff, there was an altercation in the town that involved two men, one of which was his deputy. Wild Bill rushed towards the scene, as usual, and he shot his own deputy dead by mistake. That error bothered Wild Bill for the rest of his days.

• Options
    Floyd621Floyd621 Member Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021

No drop the gun and get on the ground with your hands behind your head..?? from what I can make from it he was holding the rifle and not pointing it at the cop..so he just pulled up and bang..bang..bang...yepp..sue the crap out of them...

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,805 ✭✭✭✭

I have some very nasty things to say about the cop who did the shooting but I'll keep that to myself. Firing his weapon at a citizen who wasn't presenting a threat should result in public hanging.

• Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭

All I can say is I wasn’t there but I hope we all learn from this one.

A dead hero is a tragedy and the officer who shot the good Samaritan could only act based on the information he had in that exact moment.

• Options
    papernickerpapernicker Member Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭

Maybe the good guy thought about other possible psychos and wanted the rifle.

• Options
    mike55mike55 Member Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭✭

Sad situation. I KNOW the officer is probably all torn up too. Imagine thinking that you killed a bad guy and saved lives, only to find out that you killed the good guy. Crappy situation all around.

I would 100% engage if I saw a similar act, I would like to think that I would NOT pick up the rifle. But no one knows until it happens. The LEO got a call that his coworker(possibly his friend) was just savagely murdered, I'm sure he was trigger happy at that moment.

I hope to NEVER find out how I would react however!

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,257 ✭✭✭✭

He could have dumped the mag from the rifle and cleared the chamber, and then thrown the AR on the ground.

Monday Morning QB, I know.

• Options
    pingjockeypingjockey Member Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭✭

Makes one wonder what the scenario was in that church shooting in Texas in which a neighbor stopped the sicko with another AR. Maybe that would be a good example of what to do.

• Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭

Good thing is the bad guy is dead. We will not have to support him or his trial or endless appeals.

BAD thing is the good guy is dead.

Been to that store a bunch of time, not too long ago actually.

Would I have done the same thing?

Would have to be put in that situation to know for sure.

Been through this type of scenario many times in my head.

Always end up with, when the police show up, do NOT have a firearm in your hand.

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,805 ✭✭✭✭

Just enforcing the idea that ONLY cops should have guns because they're so well trained.

• Options
    roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,132 ✭✭✭✭

wow a virtual poopy pants show

unless it's tactical I would not pick up another weapon

Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Options
    truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry folks, but I have never been in any LEO firearms training class in which there was the slightest bit of training on how to identify the good guy from the bad guy when you arrive on the scene of a shooting or other violent crime. The emphasis is always on "GUN --- SHOOT!!"

• Options
    redhawkk480redhawkk480 Member Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭✭

The emphasis is always on "GUN --- SHOOT!!"

seems like a sure fire way to kill good people , maybe even off duty cops