In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Capitol Rotunda is an example 'structural

Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭

Raysism!!!

C&P

• The National Archives' task force on racism published a 100-plus page report on how condemning the elegant rotunda of its Washington DC HQ
  • It said the rotunda, which houses historical documents like the Magna Carta and Declaration of Independences, is an example of 'structural racism'
  • The authors of the report say paintings displayed there depict the Founding Fathers and other historical, white figures in too positive a light
  • It finds fault with the famed Faulkner paintings and suggests that the Archives stage performative art or dance that portrays other sides of history
  • Another recommendation involves adding 'trigger warnings' on famous texts

National Archive officials set up the task force which produced the report in October 2020, in the wake of George Floyd's murder. Ferriero - who was appointed by former President Barack Obama, is allowed to serve as archivist indefinitely.

Included in the task force's report is a spreadsheet of terms that it describes as 'legacy descriptions that use racial slurs and harmful language to describe BIPOC communities', which it claims are further examples of structural racism. According to the spreadsheet, words like 'crippled,' and 'illegal alien' should be removed and avoided being used again.

lt also highlights the use of offensive anti-Asian slurs used throughout the archive, and recommends adding a 'trigger warning' about texts containing words, to 'forewarn audiences of content that may cause intense physiological and psychological symptoms.'

'Providing an advisory notice to users gives us an opportunity to mitigate harm and contextualize the records,' the report reads. 'It creates a space to share with the public our ultimate goals for reparative description, demonstrate our commitment to the process, and address any barriers that we may face in achieving these goals.' 

In addition to adding 'trigger warnings,' the report suggests that the Archives 'rewrite or discard' online material in sources like OurDocuments.gov and Docsteach.org.  

According to the report, OurDocuments.gov 'often uses adulatory and excessive language to document the historical contributions of White, wealthy men.' It cites the specific descriptions of Thomas Jefferson and his contributions to American history. 

What the report suggests adding, however, are details about the harm it says Jefferson caused to Native American communities with his westward expansion policy. Furthermore, the report says, figures like underground railroad heroine Harriet Tubman are discussed with much less reverence.

I think I am going to puke now.

RLTW

Comments

• Options
    Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,348 ******

I'm so sick of all this crapola...

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

Well I will stand with the freedom of speech and tell all of them all to go to ....

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,350 ******

I was never a racist until all this racism crap hit the fan. Now, I'm starting to feel good and even a bit proud at what I have become.

• Options
    Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    chmechme Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭

I sure hope someone over in the Weather Bureau gets their stuff together before next winter, and does something about all this white supremacist snow. You never see any BIPOC snow, Always white, white, white.

If someone will come up with a grant to fund it, I'll be glad to look into this........

And SOMEBODY needs to find out why the Dems are oppressing rifles of color.

• Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭

LOL all the hoopla but No marches in the ghettos to reduce the numbers of people killing each other. Something about removing the tree from your own eye before the splinter from mine.

Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭

The lefty's won't be happy until they turn our country into a tribal one like Nigeria or Zimbabbbawaaayyyy.

• Options
    Nanuq907Nanuq907 Member Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭

OK someone answer me this.

If a group of people share common background and beliefs and decide to go to a new place and make a community that's comfortable and works for them, meets their needs and promotes their group values, is that a good thing or a bad thing? People have been doing it since time immemorial.

So everybody all over the globe has been doing this, and continues to do this. Communities spring up centered around the culture and tastes of the people that live there. They express themselves in their laws, architecture, food, clothing and art.

People come to these communities and find they're a good fit, or they don't feel like they really fit in all that well, and they keep moving until they find a place to put down roots.

Now why is it, when white people do this, it's wrong?

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,169 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Nanuq907Nanuq907 Member Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    mauser98mauser98 Member Posts: 137 ✭✭

In my town the Mexicans have taken over what was called "little Italy" and turned it into "little mexico". Mexican flags everywhere, bodegas, streets closed for fiestas. In town we have 2 mexi super markets and a variety of other Hispanic latino or other south American mini stores. The schools have so many anchor kids in them they had to expand. But what bothers me is these kids are sent to school mostly speaking Spanish cuz the illegal parents are too lazy to learn English. The schools actualy have special spanish only classes and are trying to teach the black and white kids spanish. I insulted my kids rican teacher about why it was so bad to cater to the lazy illegals while she was trying to push the benefits of bi-lingual. But the democrats are winning by fulfilling their agenda of having everything bi-lingual. Home depot. walmart.lowes and other products are already that way. I try to avoid supporting those manufactures that support criminal be havior.