In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I enjoy watching the hummingbirds do their thing PICS

Comments

• Options
    susiesusie Member Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭

Stunning. I wish I could catch my little visitors in flight.

• Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭

I'm just amazed when I watch them chasing small flying bugs. Just like watching old aerial combat footage.

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,197 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021

I call them "humblingbirds" because if you're a pilot, the things they do are utterly humbling.

I was cleaning my grill grates on the deck a few minutes ago when a little girl much like that one came up and danced in front of my face just like an eight-year-old: "What'cha doin? Is it fun? Can I play with the hose? Huh? Huh? Huh?"

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    ltcdotyltcdoty Member Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭

I just put up a screen house, using stainless steel screen. I was sitting there relaxing when a hummingbird in after burner flew into the screen. Its beak stuck through the screen...I was siting there thinking how can I help this bird, if I could at all, when the bird started flapping its wings, threw it into reverse and flew away.

I went out and got some screen magnets in geometric shapes and put them on all the screens..

• Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,967 ✭✭✭✭

This guy got caught in our garage. When we got him out he was so tuckered out he just sat there for awhile

• Options
    Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭

As usual...Awesome pic's William!!!

Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • Options
    pingjockeypingjockey Member Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭✭

....For some reason we get about 90% blackchins and these calliopes around our place.

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,379 ***** Forums Admin

Very nice pictures you guys and gal. That reminds me, I need to make birdie food for morning.

• Options
    grizgriz Member Posts: 425 ✭✭

Male Rufous at our cabin in the Black Hills...

• Options
    pingjockeypingjockey Member Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭✭

We get those on occasion but not real common. Nice photo. Our numbers seem to be down compared to previous years.

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭

We had a bunch of 'em earlier in the spring but they must have moved on.

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,197 ✭✭✭✭

Neo, that's either a Rufous or an Allen's. Allen's only if you live in coastal California.

Here in Utah, I have Black-chinned and the occasional Broad-tailed - which didn't show up this year as far as I've seen. Down to only two families of blackies, too. I'm told that the hummingbird losses while crossing the Gulf of Mexico this Spring were awful due to strong north winds the whole time. Tens of thousands of them are thought to have run out of energy and drowned.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.