In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Solvent trap?

roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,132 ✭✭✭✭

Sooooo these are selling and from what I gather are legal until you put a hole in the end? I guess the premise is you have it , just don't let a batf agent, or any law .... see it ? Thoughts?

Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.

Comments

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭✭

If people think the government isn't tracking the purchase of these, they are a bit clueless. Bob

• Options
    hoosierhoosier Member Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭✭

That's why there is a line at the booths of Gun Show venders selling these. No way to trace.

But may come back to bite the vender

Went to an auction and picked up some nice titanium tubing.. Frend was a Class 3 with SOT.

Wonder what to do with it ???

Magazines, Gun Parts and More. US Army Veteran, VFW, NRA Patron
  • Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭✭

Technically no it is not a suppressor. It is threaded to fit a barrel but the end is closed to keep the solvent from leaking out when you clean from the breach end. However if some nefarious person were to bore a hole in that end cap then yes it would be suitable for illegally fashioning a suppressor. I doubt if any are sold to be an actual solvent trap. Buyer beware, the penalties for being caught with one that has a "drain" hole can be severe. Bob

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited June 2021

Other than .22 rimfire, I'm unsure as to the point of trying to make one of the traps into a suppressor. Virtually all short recoil operated centerfire handguns require a recoil booster to operate reliably: .45 acp on the left...9mm on the right. Notice the comparative spring sizes of the two calibers.

If I was to simply screw a tube onto my P-320, it would jam/failure to feed after the first shot. As for centerfire rifles: there's a lot of very hot gas coming out of the muzzle. When that $99 solvent trap bursts and damages the barrel on my SIG MCX, is there any reasonable expectation that the the solvent trap manufacturer is going to make good? I think he'll point to a disclaimer stating that the device is intended for collecting solvents and that ANY other use violates the terms of service.

• Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭✭

I think the atf will keep a close track.on this just like the oil filter adaptor being used as a solvent trap .No way would eant my name or address in any way connected to either one

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭

Do the Form 1 and pay the $200. Then you can tell the AFT dude to go hike himself. They can't charge you with "constructive intent" if you have proof that you're waiting on their foot dragging.

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******

Hemmingway said that the simplest answer was to do the thing. Thank you.

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,576 ✭✭✭✭

I have seen where some of the questionable on line items from the gray areas the BATF has been going after they took / got / ask for all the records to who such items were sold too and now making the round up . items like the 80% full auto Glock that were sold as blessed by the BATF now not so much parts sold many years ago lately the 3d printed picture hanger ( its like a auto sear with a little work from the buyer ) same with the key card all the customers names and address have been taken in

I have no doubt all the solvent traps sold on line will have the similar fate

just like the pistol braces I find it funny there deadly the doom of civilization as we know it but give the government 200.00 tax and your life history and they will become peaceful harmless as a kitten

they want gun registration so bad there chomping at the bit and wetting there paints in hopes of getting it

• Options
    drydocksportsdrydocksports Member Posts: 7

It's iffy, they've been on the market for at least a decade, some are all sold contained units that actually look like a silencer and some you screw an oil filter on.

I have seen where ATF has pursued people over them but also I've never actually heard of a conviction either.

My take as a an SOT dealer is that they aren't very high quality and the many benefits of doing it the proper way far outweigh the chance you take with the fly by night outfits selling the "solvent traps".