In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

.30 Caliber rimfire short ammo

AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭✭

On the 'Wanted' Forum - Spider7115 was looking for some but apparently has not been able to find any.

Do you think there is any possibility of pulling the bullet on a .32 caliber rimfire and sizing it down to .30 caliber and using a very light weight .30 caliber bullet??

Best Regards - AQH

Comments

• yonsonyonson Member Posts: 892 ✭✭✭

The .30 Short used a .286 dia. bullet of 50-58 gr. - .32 Short is .316, 80 gr. Both obsolete. (Info from COTW). Good hunting.....

• mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭✭

30 rim is super rare anywhere

• truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure I'd care to try sizing down primed rimfire brass.

• chmechme Member Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭✭

Sizing a primed rimfire case is very likely to fire the primer, since you would have to size all the way to the rim- and they used heel seated bullets. And you still have a rim that is too large. .32 rf Short has rim diameter of .370-.375, but the .30 rf Short is .345. Suydam's US Cartridges lists them as out of production in 1920 or earlier. I have ONE round in my collection.

• yonsonyonson Member Posts: 892 ✭✭✭

Colt, Marlin, Hopkins & Allen and Remington made small pocket pistols & derringers in this caliber, generally 1870s. I searched COTW for anything that could be adapted but found nothing remotely available that was even close. A frustrating quest for sure, even for those of us who don't give up easily.

Found a couple articles where folks have made loads using round balls with interesting results, but the brass you seek seems like unobtanium.

• SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭

Check Wards Collectibles, They periodically have some in their auction.