In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Tractor Trek again.

shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭✭

When I posted about this last time you all seemed interested so I'll do it again. This particular trek is in honor of my dad who passed away 5 years ago. Alot of us up here are into old tractors.

Some pics. Most of my family are in this pics including myself. I bought a somewhat rare JD 2520 last year pretty much for this and the fact you don't see them that often.

We had 44 old tractors this year plus a bunch of Gators/Rangers, etc. And covered 25 miles and then had a supper together that some of the women folk threw together.

Here's some pics I took, they'll probably be sideways.

Comments

• Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021

44 - Wow, quite a parade. Made me miss my old Farmall H & Ford 856 (well almost).

It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭✭

Restored old Fords for 40 years, sold them all, bought a new Kubota and love it.

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,590 ***** Forums Admin

Great pics, thanks for sharing. Sounds like a fun time!

• Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭✭

I've restored several old tractors and lost my butt on each one, people down here (Georgia) just ain't into it much but I did enjoy the work, still do kinda 😊. My first rebuild was an old John Deere that sat down in the woods for years that my Dad gave me, 100% by myself when I was 14.

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭✭

Love those tractor pics. Thanks for posting.

• Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,477 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for posting. I have a lot a great memories of helping my grandfather restore the old Internationals and Ford 8 and9ns

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,521 ******

Brings back memories of Fall hayrides being pulled by my late FIL's old Minneapolis Moline! Great times and a great tractor! ☺️

• Options
    lkanneslkannes Member Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭

That 6030 open station in the first photo is a rare beast.

• Options
    lkanneslkannes Member Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,872 ✭✭✭✭

I neither "restore" nor do tractor rides BUT we use old tractors 100%. The newest farm tractor on this operation is a 1979 JD 4440. The oldest is a FORD 8N Dad purchased second hand in 1958. Older Son spent around $750 on the 8N last spring to get all the 'postponed' repairs completed and we've been using it to pull a pre-1960 NH hay rake this summer. Very close to the set-up I started with in 1959.

1951 FORD 8N

1966 FORD 4000

2X 1967 FORD 4000

1969 IH 756D

1977 JD 4430 (4800 hours-find another with such low hours)

1979 JD 4440

Son also has his wife's Grandfather's one owner 1948(?) JD A but it's not in running condition--maybe next year.

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,837 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021

That's pretty cool!

When I was in high school the local golf course brought in their 8n for a complete overhaul in our auto shop. We tore that thing down and rebuilt it from the ground up. They said to get creative with the new paint job so we did! Our school colors were red, white, and black so we did a gloss black engine and transmission/axle with candy apple red cowling and fenders. They loved it.

• Options
    Merlinnv12Merlinnv12 Member Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭

Great pictures.

I restored a Fordson tractor years ago. Ran like a top. It sat outside all winter and would start up on the third revolution of the crank in the spring. It was a great piece of history and “yard art”.

I sold it to a guy in Arizona and he took it to tractor gatherings and competed in sled pulls for kicks.

Kinda wish I still had it.

“What we’ve got here, is, failure to communicate.”
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭✭

If restoring an old tractor,best do it because you are going to use it or you just love old tractors. Most of them you will never get your money back.Something unique or some of the John Deeres will get on the money,but most will not.I have seen some very nice old tractors sell for less than what the paint job cost.

• Options
    pingjockeypingjockey Member Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭✭

John Deere 1020's 66 gas and 68 diesel.

This is the 66.

• Options
    shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭✭

Pretty Sweet, I am going to continue to buy some more old tractors, possibly going to try to complete the JD 20 series so I'll be adding a 1020 at some point. I plan on buying one every other year or so. Most are pretty easy to find and fairly cheap. Doubtful I'll ever be able to complete the whole thing as the 8020 is pretty rare and usually a running one sells for over $100,000.

Thanks for posting, it is a really nice looking tractor.

• Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,272 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,819 ✭✭✭✭

Great Pics......thanks all for sharing....

• Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the pictures.

I have a restored Allis Chalmers C and a restored John Deere 40.

My 2010 John Deere is the one Dad bought in 1962 and is in un-restored condition, runs well, and gets frequent use.

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,797 ✭✭✭✭

nice photos and a way to honor your dad

any time like minded people no matter what hobby all seems to go well and a good time had by all .

we have a 8n ford bought about 20 or so years ago then bought a few implement's to go with it but 95% just use it to mow grass with

old mr ford knew how to build a tractor basic easy to work on and parts are still made for them due to the popularity I guess

• Options

We had to split my old 8N due to missing teeth on the starter ring so Son figured we'd need to replace the clutch since the previous replacement had been in the very early 60's(basically 60 years of use). Pulled the clutch out and could still see the swirls on the clutch disc. Replaced it anyway since the parts were already paid for but not due to wear.

I can only guess at how many hours are on the old girl. It's pulled a hay rake since newer more powerful tractors came to the operation and had been used as a scooter until ATV's came onto the market.

• Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,831 ✭✭✭✭

I knew a man and his HS age son who farmed over 1,500 acres in NW Ohio in the late 50s. Their two big tractors were a pair of AC W-D 45s. Think about that and contrast that with todays thinking on what is necessary horsepower.

The simple facts are most of those tractors pictured could go back to farming right now, today.

• Options
    pingjockeypingjockey Member Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭✭

Spent a few hours on the old WD45's Neighbor has a nice little D15 that his grandfather had bought brand new. Purrs

like a kitten.

• Options
    Wild TurkeyWild Turkey Member Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭✭

Started driving JD 730's as soon as I could pull the clutch. Still love the old Poppin' Johnnies. My dream tractor would be a twin-cylinder 820 or 830😁

• Options

I fought those old 2 cylinder "johny poppers" for so long, I don't EVER want to get back on one.

• Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,335 ✭✭✭✭

Currently have a 1951 super A in the shop split apart for a clutch replacement . Only tractor my father ever bought new

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,797 ✭✭✭✭

when I am mowing my yard on the 8n and my neighbors ( mostly farmers and all have huge farming equipment from tractors combines even grain wagons

any way as I was saying while I am mowing and they roll by in a articulated quad track tractor pulling a wagon on tracks also the size of semi truck ,, I think wow ( and wow $$$$$$$$$$$$ ) this 8n looks like a toy but in its day was as good as it got for the farmers

• Options

Total age of the 7 tractors in use here: 368 years.

Probability that any one of them will go to the field and put in a full day's work: 99.9%