In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Rust on O/u barrels bad enough that you can feel it

djh860djh860 Member Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭

These are barrels I bought for a project. Didn't store them well enough and I didn't check on them for a few years. The spots are small and there are about 20 on each barrel but they are bad enough that you can feel them, So far I've coated it with Kroil overnight and brushed it rather hard with a bronze suede brush and oil

. My plan at this point is to do that over and over. I worked first on areas that will be covered by the front stock.

I'm making progress and so far it doesn't seem to be hurting the finish. I have 3 barrels and so far I'm only working on one set. At this point it looks like it won't be a complete solution. I say that because while I can't feel the rust any longer I can still see the mar where it was. Am I on the right track? Is time and work with this process a workable solution?

Comments

• Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

If it is pitted you might as well sand it down to bare metal, clean it with acetone and cold blue it.

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******

any rust = metal is gone. there will always be 'pitting' (missing metal). the only way to completely remove it is to polish the surrounding metal down to the bottom of the 'pit'. your 'track' will remove the existing rust but will not make the spot disappear.

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭✭

What brand barrels? What is the project? If you are just making a personal shooter and not concerned about the value then as stated polish the spots to bare metal and cold blue. You probably won't get a perfect match but it will be an improvement. If they are from a high dollar gun and you are looking to sell them, have them reblued professionally so as to retain the value of the barrels. Bob

• Options
    djh860djh860 Member Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2021

They are for an IAB which is a little known but very well made Italian trap skeet gun maker from the 80's. Now out of business. I have 2 of their delux grades and I tried 2 gunsmiths to fit the barrels to my gun. Evidently the cocking mechanism is unusual and no one had success. So I was thinking of selling the barrel set. btw I paid $1000 for this beauty.

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021

I remember them and they were a pretty good quality firearm. You might give Midwest Gun Works a call to see if they can help. Bob

I forgot to add, if you are going to sell them - use your rust removal method and then sell them as is. Let the buyer refinish them the way they want.

• Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

Big 45 Frontier Metal Cleaner. buy it online, $6 I think. It works as advertised. I would not try and cold blue the rust spots. It never works well. Cold blue colors the metal. It does not put a protective film on the metal. That is a high quality shotgun and should be professionally refinished if required.