In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What should I do with a big lot of old mixed ammo

miltsodmiltsod Member Posts: 3

Looking for advice on what to do.

I inherited a bunch of old ammo, I've been trying to sort it out but it is proving to be a frustrating task.  Most of it is old WW2 or pre WW2 with no indication of what it is on the headstamp.  Bringing out the calipers isn't helping much either.  Even the ammo that looks identical is slightly different.  

A lot of 30 (M1) and 30-06, then there is 30 Rem, 32 rem, 6.5mm Jap, 8mm mauser, a handfull of old pistol and rifle rimfire, 30 M1 blanks, 45 auto rim, 300 win mag, 40-66, 348, 7mm, French .  there is a lot more but a lot of it I can't even tell what it is.  A portion of it is corroded or coated in funk.

Anyway, I am sure some of it is worth the effort but some is probably junk.  Other than sorting this out, which I do not have the patience for, i am looking for some advice on what to do with it.

Comments

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******

a. bulk sale on gun broker (check shipping requirements)

b. several tables at a local gun show

c. 5 gal. metal pail w/about 3" of stones/gravel in the bottom & a couple quarts of gas with a screen over the top & 1 match

• Options
    oldWinchesterfanoldWinchesterfan Member Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

c. Sounds like fun!

• Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,750 ✭✭✭✭

imo, not that much odd to sell on GB because of ship cost. IF you have a local paper, or one of those Traders run an add and try to sell it there as a lot. I been there and it drives me insane on trying to divide it. Lot sale buddy, and thank me later.

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭

I would group the identifiable commercial ammo (especially full or mostly full boxes) by caliber, get a rough count, and offer that as one lot. The odds and unidentifiable goes into another lot and let the buyer figure it out.

• Options
    scooterdriverscooterdriver Member Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021

This, but you might want to list the easily identifiable stuff in a couple/few different lots grouped by caliber. Keep in mind that shipping costs will matter.

• Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,750 ✭✭✭✭

I stand by my suggestion, if you sell it here there will be "buyers" pizzed when it arrives and it is not what they thought. BEEN there, done that, lot it at home and forget it. IT is NOT worth the trouble.

• Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭

How close are you to NH? TThere is a place there , the man buys any thing like this

• Options
    AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭

You might consider selling the whole lot to 'A Call To Arms, LLC' - info@ammo-one1.com

We also buy, or trade for some obsolete cartridges. It is best to e-mail us, as we are not always available by phone. However if needed, please call between 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM (EST) Maine 207-648-4087. Leave a message and reason for your call and we will return your call.

Best Regards - AQH

• Options
    oldWinchesterfanoldWinchesterfan Member Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

I’ve messed with some stuff like this before, not to the extent of what you have, but suggest you take what you can get at local gun show and move on.

There could even be reloads mixed in. IMHO, it’s best to sell at a local gun show where the buyer has it in their hands when you agree on cash price and shake hands.

Maybe sell individual lots of military .30 carbine, M2 ball .30-06, .45 auto rim, etc., separately. But I’d sell face to face to avoid any shipping issues and buyer blowback.

Good luck!