In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Man am I pickled,,,,

montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,048 ******

Local Hooterites out of Harlowtown are back in town with their produce tables set up.

Just finished off a jar of pickled beets, jar of pickled yellow string beans,a jar of pickled asparagus, and drank a half jar of the pickle juice.

I love their fresh produce and pickled items, and they're mighty fine folks too.

Comments

• Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭✭

Use the juice to make a dirty martini.

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,048 ******

never had a martini, whats in it?

• Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,440 ✭✭✭✭

I've tried to pickle beets, beans, etc from my garden but failed. Nothing turned out really good. I should have stayed in the city.

😀

It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,207 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021

You can tell a culture that has evolved through hard times by their foods. So-called "ethnic" cuisines that feature a lot of pickled, smoked, dried, and salted foods have had it tough in times past. They had to preserve foods to last through the hard times, or starve.

Speaking of pickle juice, it is my secret ingredient in a Bloody Mary. (Not so darn secret, to be honest.) That little bit of tanginess really lights up the drink.

We went to our favorite roadside produce place yesterday. Besides their own racks of pickled items, there was a display case of pickled goodies from some individual. Beans, asparagus, and lots more; but at $15 a quart jar, I passed. (The stand's own variety sells for $8 a jar. Their Candied Jalapenos are simply awesome.)

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,493 ✭✭✭✭

Have done that for years as well Rocky.

My favorite is Clausens dill pickle juice. A splash of that with a mid-grade vodka, V-8 juice, Dimitry's, one strip of bacon, one jalapeno pickled asparagus spear, 2 olives and 5 or 6 drops of tabasco or fanks.

Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    edited July 2021

I used to tend bar at an annual Bloody Mary party. I'd mix up a pint or so of 50/50 dill and bread/butter pickle juice in squeeze bottles. I mixed the drinks light because everybody would be driving home. One ounce of vodka and 1/2 ounce of pickle juice was the base. My menu had several options, all variants of the Bloody Mary:

Spicy - Mr T's Spicy

Mild - Tomato Juice

Marine - Clamato

Mexican - with tequila

Virgin - no booze.

(And for those who said they don't like Bloody Marys, I offered "White Whine" LOL! )

• Options
    diver-rigdiver-rig Member Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021

Love the pickled options.

Love the Bloody Marys.

Daughters take pickle juice and make ice pops out of them.

I currently have a 3 gallon batch of sour kraut, and a 5 gallon batch of dills, fermenting away.

• Options

Picklesicles! Love it!

• Options

@Rocky Raab,

I know it's 5 pm somewhere, but I'll force myself to wait to make a pickled Bloody Mary. Thanks!

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,688 ******

I don’t want a pickle....

I just want to ride on my motor sickle..

• Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭

I love anything that is pickled.

After I eat all of the pickles in a jar, I always save the pickle juice and take it with me on HVAC jobs (attic work). I have discovered that when working in attics during the summer, after awhile, I get terrible cramps from the heat even though I drink lots of water. Drinking that pickle juice helps with the heat cramps.

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,399 ******

There is a place close to me that makes the best bloody Mary's I've ever had. The Warf in Leland MI. They add a smoked fish (Chub) to the drink and call it a "Chubby Mary!" 😛

I was raised by parents who grew up in the Great Depression. I have eaten just about everything you can think of PICKLED. I still like it all but have a hard time finding pickled cows tongue without making it myself. I also make my own pickled ring bologna with sweet Vidalia onions. YUM!

Montanajoe, just think, in another month or so, you will find yourself in a "JAM" with all of those farm market jam & jelly offerings on the shelf! 😋

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,688 ******
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭

I can eat some pickled eggs.

RLTW

• Options
    sxsnufsxsnuf Member Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭

I spent a day on that (I think) Harlowtown colony as an appraiser for the MT dept. of revenue. Big hog operation. The men looked at us like we were occupiers, the women and children like we were from another planet. They invited us to the community hall for lunch and we were waited on hand and foot. They treated us like royalty, as I expect they treat all guests. The food was like you'd get at a really good home style restaurant and if you finished anything on your plate, one of the women "elders" appeared from out of nowhere to add more. Great folks and an interesting culture/way of life.

Arrivederci gigi
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,680 ✭✭✭✭

When you said 'Hooterites' I got all excited to see the pictures. Now that I realize you meant 'Hutterites' I'm a little bummed.

• Options

Bloody Mary with hot Thai pickle juice. Mmmm good, thanks.