In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Dusty Hill from ZZTop has passed away...... I am shocked and heartbroken.

Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,617 ✭✭✭✭

This was a band that I went to every time they came to town when I was younger. I had the best time seeing all of my friends there and coming to school the next day wearing the concert Tshirt.

I actually had tickets to their show in Tuscaloosa this coming weekend and even had an Airbnb rented for myself and my group that were all going together. I just cannot imagine what the band must be going through right now.

I am just the saddest thing ever.

LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com

Comments

• select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021

They were the back up band to Jo Jo Gunne at Emens Auditorium Ball State campus Muncie In. somewhere around 1972-73

• chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,718 ✭✭✭✭

Saw them play back in the early 70s more than once. They played songs from first album and later second album back then. They were a great TX band. RIP and their music lives on.

• RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭

RIP. The last time I saw them was the XXX tour with Skynyrd 1999.

• dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,935 ✭✭✭✭
  • Texas1911DETexas1911DE Member Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭

😮....I had no idea...ZZ has been one of my favorite bands forever...Ive seen them three times and they were great every time...wow, this bites...Texas Governor is even sending condolences...

..."ELIMINATER" was one of my favorite albums/CD..."Sharp Dressed Man", "La Grange", "Legs", "Tube Snake Boogie" and on and on and on..."Jesus Just Left Chicago (Texas)"...you are already greatly missed...RIP Dusty Hill......😥

• William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021

I put all my ZZ Top CD's on the Player and let it fly....

RIP Sir, some of my best memories of the 70's occurred ZZ Top music as the soundtrack !!!

• Texas1911DETexas1911DE Member Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭

....This bites so bad...will be listening to their CD's rest of this evening...

...ZZ TOP made a helluva lot of music for 3 people, geez...filling the CD player with five ZZ Top CD's to start...here's to ya'll ZZ Top...

• dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭

I was hoping to hear them when they were 80+. On their 50th Anniversary Tour Dusty was asked if they were going to retire. Dusty, Billie and Frank looked at each other and said no. Dusty said being on stage playing and singing was the only thing they knew how to do. Dusty said if he had to sit at home for 2 months he would be walking down the street knocking on doors asking who ever answered if he could play and sing for them.

Dusty literally toured to the end. I will really miss hitting YouTube and watching their most recent tour dates. ZZ Top was my favorite band and I always "Cranked the radio up!!" when they were played. To me they were what Rock is all about.

Jesus is doing some serious toe tapping tonight.

• dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭

On Friday the band announced a change in their lineup. Elwood Francis their long time guitar tech would be filing in for Dusty while Dusty went back to Texas to address a hip issue. Dusty died in his sleep.

I am reminded of the line in The Gambler. "The best that you can hope for is to die in your sleep."

• nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******

RIP Dusty. One of the best.

• montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,893 ******
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,617 ✭✭✭✭

We cannot find anything out about the Friday concert. I think they are still planning on having it. They have LOTS of tour dates in the future and they are still selling tickets to all of them online.

One silly ZZTop memory I had was when they destroyed the iconic car in a music video. I was in boot camp at the time. So, I hadn't heard much of anything from the outside world. I thought it was a joke they were playing on me. You couldn't just look videos up back then, so I kept waiting on them to show that music video to see if it was true.

LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭

no not "WHO "that was a different band 🤨

RIP Dusty

I remember listing to them while cruising around back in my younger years and really liked the cars and gals they had in the videos

• brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭✭

Sad he was only 72 ,same as me.

• NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭

He was a great bassist and had a lot of influence on my playing style.

RIP Dusty. You'l be missed!

• Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭

Saw them a few years ago. Still put on a hell of a show.

RIP

Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Gregor62Gregor62 Member Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭✭

Bummer!

Sadly I'm at an age where most of the icons I grew up with will all be exiting this mortal world.

Tom Petty, and Glen Frey were both shockers too.

RIP Dusty.