In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Tsunami alert

Nanuq907Nanuq907 Member Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭

Shallow ocean 8.2 earthquake off Chignik has put us under tsunami alert tonight. Waves predicted to arrive Seward 1220, Homer 0115 and Anchorage 0345 local times.

Comments

• Options
    mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭✭

wheres chignik

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,376 ******

8.2 is a very sizeable quake! Hope all is safe and well for you Nanuq!

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭

heard you guys were rocking and rolling. i used to live a few miles from russia, we were on tsunami alert quite a bit.

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,309 ******

8.2 is a big quake!

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options

Thanks guys. Yeah the last 8+ quake we had did some damage.

But the biggest loss of all.....

• Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭

I was watching videos of folks heading to the hills.

Glad it wasn't too bad, if it had been deep and caused a Tsunami it could have been real ugly.

RLTW

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,667 ******
  • Options

I just scanned the news and we did have a tsunami wave wash through. It hit Old Harbor like a freight train... a one foot high freight train. 🤣

Biggest tsunami wave we ever saw was a touch taller... it hit Lituya Bay, reaching 1,720 feet up the mountainside.

• Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭

I bet the first picture with car in it had brown seat covers😲

• Options

No kidding.

"Hi, honey? I'm in the car but I can't get home."

"What do you mean you can't get home? Are you on the road?"

"Well yes.... in a way."

Curiously, that offramp was JUST completed before the earthquake as part of a project to build the world's most complicated and unneeded offramp/interchange. It took them 2 years to finish that fiasco.

After the earthquake and the offramp was destroyed? It was rebuilt in 4 days. Ooooooooooooooooooops. Cat's out of the bag now, fellahs.

• Options
    mrs102mrs102 Member Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭

I believe I heard a news report that Hawaii had been put on tsunami alert from this quake but nothing came of it.

• Options
    notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭

When my son moved to the north shore of Oahu he was told if you ever go to the beach and all the water is gone run for the hills

• Options
    edited July 2021

Yep there’s a Pacific sensor array and they all talk to each other. We were vacationing in Hawaii once and my phone went off with an alert from the Palmer Alaska office telling us a tsunami originating Japan was coming. 3 hours later the TVs in Honolulu all lit up with a tsunami alert, the sirens went off and they evacuated us to higher ground. That was the big one a few years back at Fukushima.

Next day we were at the beach and the water all went out then came back in and repeated all day long with about a 45 minute period between highs. That was crazy. Reefs were exposed and I was able to go deep with my mask to search for treasure in the deep spots.

it was really tragic with all the Japanese nationals trying to make emergency travel plans to get back home. Stricken expressions and tears everywhere.

• Options
    notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭

He's never experienced one of any magnitude that was dangerous. There was one forecasted but it only amounted to a foot or so. I think it was the one you're talking about. My other son who lives there too just texted me that the most recent warning has expired. That whole tsunami thing is hard for this inland hill hick to wrap his head around.

• Options
    edited July 2021

Yeah and they keep over hyping them. One of these days there will be a bad one like the one here in Seward in ‘64 and people will ignore the warnings. This one was a 200 foot wave.

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,376 ******

I may be just a bit of an American hick thinking that a tsunami  is some kind of Japanese wrestler. I still like to use TIDAL WAVE for those ominous ocean destroyers!