In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Car ID ???

gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2021 in General Discussion

Studebaker ... maybe ?

😎😉😎

It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books

Comments

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,666 ******

Studebaker Legs...er, I mean Lark.

• Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,432 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021

'57+ Studebaker hawk. I hope that grill doesn't melt. I had the pre-hawk Raymond Lowery coupe. I put a 301 mouse in it and went from 30mpg to 10! Hey, I was 18 at the time.

😋

It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    Nanuq907Nanuq907 Member Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭

There's a car in that pic?

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaait a minute. Look at that glorious beehive blinker glass in the front grille! I've been needing one of those for my Land Rover!

SCORE!!!! Thanks for the legs up! Errrrr heads up!

• Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭

What car?

Now let's talk ho0d ornament!

• Options
    firstharmonicfirstharmonic Member Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭

Liking that hood ornament!

• Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭

What car????????????

• Options
    Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭

Love the grill and hood ornament...🤪

Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,971 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021

Excuse me while I reach in here and find the hood release latch

• Options

As a public service Mr. Perfect, I'll be willing to give her a ride.

😍

• Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭✭

When I was a kid, my neighbor down the street had a black 57 Golden Hawk with a gold interior and auto trans on the floor. It came with a supercharger, but he took it off to improve his gas mileage. I went for a couple of rides in it and fell in love with it.

Joe

• Options
    yonsonyonson Member Posts: 904 ✭✭✭

Location of the turn signal lights makes it a 1959-61 Studebaker Hawk/Silver Hawk, hard to pin it down from just the one picture. Last Golden Hawk was 1958 (Golden Hawks came w/McCullough supercharger).

• Options

While you were googling the car I was tracking down the hood ornament cough

Here she is a few years later

• Options

Darn Nanuq907, you just ruined a great post!

😕

• Options

Hey she’s doing the “Kardashian Lips” pose.

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,574 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021

they were great cars supposed the ones with the blowers were the thing back in the day as for my only encounter back in about 1974 /75 time frame a fellow I worked with had a real nice Studebaker I do not real which model it was about a 1959 all black and really nice I do not remember a lot about the details as to year and model just that is was not one of the top of the line versions but do remember him asking 800.00 he had to sell it his wife decided for him , and so it goes not much has changed . at the time 800.00 was lot for a fellow making a 1.60 a hour and doubt If I would have kept it any way . but would like to have it now

yes the young lady looks nice , but odds are the cars value and performance would have been a better long term choice 😮

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

Hawk... and looks like high maintenance

• Options
    edited July 2021

Actually, they were fast, pretty reliable and offered a good ride for the money - Studebakers that is.

😋

• Options

Mis-spelled McCulloch, don't know how to edit posts (I used to do proof reading).

• Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭

Studebaker made the Golden Hawk and the Silver hawk.

All my dad drove when I was a kid was Studebakers, the Hawk was my favorite.

Studebaker was years ahead of everyone else when it came to styling, in the 40s and 50s they had the most aerodynamic cars on the road.

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options

They were used in more than the Golden Hawk yonson. The '57 T-Bird had one available and at least one other mfgr - possibly Kaiser. That blower had one flaw - the 2 speed feature. Power was transmitted through a ball bearing and it would fail. A bearing upgrade became available and it helped some.

• Options

cbxjeff, you are correct in that McCulloch superchargers were used in other cars - 1954 Kaiser Manhattans, '57 T-birds and '57-'58 Packard Hawks (basically Studebaker Hawks with some styling changes). All were quite rare and on the T-bird it was a factory option. The blower was standard on all Golden Hawks ('56-'58) - was looking at a mint '57 at a show last week. Did not mean to imply that Stude was the sole user, that blower was around since the '30s.