In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Savage 1899 303 Savage

JeffriceJeffrice Member Posts: 1

In good condition mfg in 1901

Comments

• Options
    mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭✭

common caliber 600.00

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭✭

Great gun but hampered by being in an obsolete caliber. There are a few on the auction side and they don't seem to be getting much interest so Mac 10 is probably pretty close with his estimate. I think it has been close to 40 years since there has been factory ammunition offered and that greatly influences the price. If the rifle were 15 years newer and chambered in 250 or 300 savage it would be at least double in value. Bob

• Options
    wolfpackwolfpack Member Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭✭

If it is really nice you may do a little better than the 600. I have a take down that I believe is a model H in 303 savage with the shotgun butt. I gave 1000 for mine but it is mint. Like BobJudy said it is an obsolete caliber. When you tell them 303 savage they mistake it for a 303 British, not a l lot of people familiar with the 303 savage. Similar in ballistics to the 30 30 but was usually loaded with a 190 grain bullet. I am going to try to take a deer again with mine this fall. You can find ammo you just need to look around. Not something you will find at walmart. A couple of years ago Graf had this produced thru Hornady and I bought several boxes. Jamison ammo also produced some. HSM also lists some in a 150 Gr pro Hunter. A really great rifle in an original caliber. Enjoy and be safe