In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

yard sale vultures.........

hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭

wife wanted me to put up few signs at end of street for our yard sale tomorrow. got home and decided I had an old extension ladder in building and at my age/health wasn't gonna use again, have had it for sale on and off on her facebook thing for month or so, I figured I would bring it down to the garage and put it in the sale tomorrow. Had it on face book for $50 for last month or so. this guy pulls up out front of house and asks if we are the ones having a sale tomorrow, I said yes but the wife hasn't priced anything yet to come back in the morning, he ask if the ladder was for sale. Sort of irked me he was there day early so I said yes $75, he looked it over and said he would give me $50, I said no, someone will give me $75 or I will hang it back on the wall, he pulls out his wallet and hands me $75!! lotta strange people out there.......

Comments

• Options
    scooterdriverscooterdriver Member Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021

They come out of the woodwork…early and looking for a good deal. Ok by me…it’s stuff I no longer use. Plus, you’re $25 ahead already. Gonna be a good day!

• Options
    mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭✭

hate some, one put up sign for a sale of 50 guns starting 7am in there yard

• Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,796 ✭✭✭✭

Lots of strange people on FB. One of many reasons I dont partake.

• Options

+1,, but promised the grandkids they could keep any money made, anything left goes to goodwill on monday morning....

• Options
    Nanuq907Nanuq907 Member Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭

Ahhhhhhhh, now THAT is good thinking. Let them price it, mark it and haggle. Good training!

• Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭

I bring it to a local auction & let them handle it. Even after their percentage, we get more money & no hassles.

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,578 ✭✭✭✭

good for you .

a lot of people do not do face book like me for a long time I did not even know they had a for sale listing section but my youngest son told me about it and has bought many things from it

as for yard sales there is always the resellers show up early even a day or more as soon as they find out looking for items to make money off of

many years ago there was a paper called trading post pre internet ( may still be around as we have a local shopper paper now ) any way a fellow I worked with told me even a lot of the great deals were gone before the paper came out as insiders ( and people with access to a computer rare at tat time ) had a chance to look it over and buy up any deals before the general public seen the paper

will add in when I was younger around 19 or 20 yrs old the city would have a free pick up day any thing two people could lift was the rule . any think could be set out and get picked up free . ( I think some cities still do that also ) many people used that day to stock up for swap meets and 2nd hand stores . my brother ( RIP ) and a cousin would use my old truck and join in . any thing aluminum like old ladders lawn chairs storm doors well you get the idea easy to scrap we grabbed and made a run to the scrap yard made it worth wile for us . also more than a few lawn mowers and many more such items where a new one was bought and the old one ( still great shape was tossed )

I still stop by yard sales if I happen up on one my mom and sister use to be the early birds like you mentioned . and they both would resell the items in there own yard sales . at the time my sister was selling some fancy home décor / do dads and would buy all she could find send them back as she was a seller for them and get full credit for the retail price of the item

• Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭

I think this might kind of fit the theme of this thread.

The wife and I were at a yard sale. She collects bells. We found a little bell in a box, and were still walking around looking at items before we asked the seller how much the bell was. A "lady?" asked us what was in the box. We said it was just something that we were going to buy it, and left it at that.

Then she repeatedly said "I want to know what is in that box." DEMANDING to know what was in the box. She tried to snatch it out of my hand. She wasn't that tall, and I lifted it out of her reach. She got huffy and stormed off.

Next thing we knew, our Harley ULTRA is laying on it's side. She (who was parked on the wrong side of the road, with NO ONE in front of her) had backed into our bike, knocking it over. Intentionally. She then got out of her car and into my face saying, "what are you going to do, HIT ME?" She kept saying that over and over. She WANTED me to hit her, so she could press charges.

Even being more than a little pi$$ed, I knew better than to hit her, besides I do not hit ladies (NOT THAT SHE WAS A LADY) the most she got was, I called her a name. Police came, I called them, she got a ticket, and her insurance had to pay for the damages. Our bike came out of it looking GREAT, with some new parts we had been thinking of buying.

She had also called the police, for me calling her a name. I got a ticket too. Found out later I could have beat it, but at the time my lawyer said since I had a clean record, the most they would do is "basically" slap my hand. Which is what they did.

After all the excitement was over, we went up to the seller and ended up paying $1.00 for the bell. Thousands of dollars from her insurance company, time without the bike, while it was getting fixed, all for $1.00, Talk about a yard sale vulture.....

Hope your yard sale goes smooth and is profitable.

• Options

wow a real life so called " Karen" you ran across

you showed great restraint not punching her it had to be difficult even with it being a woman I would never hit either it would have been tempting when no one was looking of course 😉

• Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭✭

We've got to know.......did you ever tell her what was in the box ??...........................😁

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,385 ******

I bet you called her a BIOTCH! 😁 without the O. That would have been my word of choice and would have come out of my mouth without a lick of thought.

• Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭

When I was a kid in the 70's.........my mom and my aunt's and some neighbors used to do garage sales about twice a year. I thought is was pretty cool and I always liked to price some of my stuff to try and make some money. I never made more than a few dollars, but I remember the adults making some cash (to me at the time). In retrospect..........it was a time for the women of the family to" gather together" and incidentally sell household goods that were no longer needed.

As a young kid of 7 or 8 y.o. I thought that $100 - $200 was a fortune.

• Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭✭

When I sold off a number of Browning shotguns I advertised them locally at first.One of the ads was for a sweet 16 never fired,with original box and paper work.I would get offers of even trades for Taurus pistols,Yugo SKS,26 inch rims and air compressors that just needed a little work.I think I even got offered a like new RG 14 pistol.I finally sold everything I wanted to sell,but it took patience and a good sense of humor.

• Options

"found" a nest of yellow jackets in a weep hole in the brick wall by the drive, had stuff stacked down the top of the waist high wall and leaned on it, lady went to move a small table and out they came!! lucky no one got stung, went to war with them and ended up fighting them rest of the day, I can tell you, Raid ant and rouch spray does nothing but make them madder, same for the flea and spider spray, ended up with small plastic pop bottle, drilled small hole in top and filled with gasoline, gave them a squirt every half hour or so. Gonna give em a good soaking soon as it gets closer to dark, gotta let em settle down a bit first. Kids made $195, they are happy and decluttered a few rooms and about half the basement, good day for all. heading to store to get some wasp/bee spray and then I am gonna end the truece at sundown........

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

Put out a plate of hot peppers and put up a sign that says free.

• Options

there is a house a couple miles away from us they use to have yard sales about 4 times a year , I would stop by on the way home or into town just never knew what they would come up with the dad was and I think the mom were auctioneer's and brought all kids of stuff home by the boxes some times . they would sell it cheap to make a few bucks and move it on . from tools to furniture and all in-between I know I bought shop tools, bicycles, gun parts , odds and ends I always like to stop by there sales . I think they retired out of auctions so no more yard sales from them last several years .

• Options
    JasonVJasonV Member Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭

My dad stopped at a yard sale and was digging through the crap they had stacked up. People sitting on the front porch watching him.

Finally one of them gets off the porch and walks over and asks him why his is digging through the stuff. There was no yard sale. Just a junky yard.

We still laugh about that one.

formerly known as warpig883
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭

Nope, never did.

Brookwood -Yes...A STUPID F* **ING BIOTCH

FCD - There was an issue with her doing it intentionally. My lawyer said I would probably be able to win, proving that she did, but then if I did win her insurance company would not have paid, leaving me trying to get the money to fix my bike out out of her. He said, you really do not want to go that route, and I agreed with him. I did not want anything more to do with her.

I asked him about my ticket and he said you don't want to stir the pot. With your record, just take the slap on the hand. Like I said, I found out later I could have beat it, Different lawyer. Now days, it would be a different story, with a different ending.

• Options
    gjshawgjshaw Member Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭

My wife and I went to a yard sale of a guy that buys storage units. He said get a arm full for 4.00 dollars so off we go looking thru all the boxes and I found some nice antique cast iron frying pans and was more than happy to pay the 4.00 dollars. The wife came back with a arm full and the guy said 4.00 dollars which she paid. When we got to the car I asked her what did she find and she said a little jewelry box with two diamond rings and 27 Morgan silver dollars in it. We were really happy to have stopped at his yard sale.

• Options
    Nanuq907Nanuq907 Member Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭

I usually drive past yard sales but I stopped at one a year back, real nice guy came out and he had sporting goods. I was digging through stuff and found a bunch of hockey gear. Real nice stuff, priced great. $1,000 Vapor skates pretty chewed up but sound, for $20. They fit like a glove and weigh nothing. I grabbed them and some carbon sticks, turns out the guy is a retired pro player from our local team and he shoots left like me. Score!

• Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,686 ✭✭✭✭

When we bought this house the previous owner had left all kinds of junk....so between all of that and the stuff we decided we didn't want anymore I decided to let the kids have a yard sale. I put everything out in the yard, posted signs at the end of the road and covered it all up with a tarp until the next day. I had to work, but I thought the kids could have handled selling stuff and sharing the money they collected. In the middle of the night I saw someone out there rummaging around in the dark. I thought it was BONKERS that someone would steal anything from a junk sale in the middle of the night, but then I got a text from a weirdo that lives down the road asking "how much for the albums in my yard". So, I stopped looking for my shoes and told him $1 each. He texted back "he'd think about it" and went away. I went to work and my kids didn't even go out to help anyone that showed up. I was ticked off at the world about then.....junk in the yard....creepy neighbors....no help from the kids at all....never again.

LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,753 ✭✭✭✭

I very RARELY STOP at any yard sales but-------------this has been 20 plus years ago but it was like I had to stop at this one on the edge of town as I was driving, I mean the wheel steered itself in the driveway. It was like 9:00 and sure there was nothing left, BUT I saw some 8mm ammo from wartime, about 3 boxes. i inquired what they had to shoot in that? Well sir, my dad brought a rifle back from WW2 and that was with it. I queried, ok, did you sell the rifle? They no, we didn't want to put it out for safety's sake ect. OK, could I look at it if it is for sale, why YES you can and we would like to sell it.

They took me into house and they took out of the dark closet a G-43 DUV SNIPER in stone cold 98% condition with correct scope!! Wow, that is nice!! They, would you give $500 with the ammo? Why yes I would!! I took it to me best gun trading buddy and he dropped a grand in front of me and said, I want it. Course I sold it and that is one I WISH I would have kept.🙄😌😕🙁

But everyone has a story of would have could have.

• Options
    4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭✭

Grasshopper, great story. Someday when I have more time will tell story of 03 Springfield done by Paul Jaeger that sat in closet at work for ten years. I finally got the gun. Belonged to my old boss USMA "39. A gift from a Classmate.-------------------------------Ray

• Options
    thorhammerthorhammer Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

My best yard sale find was a pair of S&W grips in Pachmayr box. Gave the guy $20 for them, looks like he swapped out his wood Smith grips for those rubber pachmayr grips and left the wood ones in the box. So i put them on fleabay and I figured they went on a model 29 Smith. On the second day they were at 425.00 and i email the bidder and asked why are they so high, did i make a mistake in the listing. he said no, these grips are in mint condition from the late 50's or early 60's and you don't see these any more, and he just collects grips. by the end of the seven day auction they went for $710 to someone in Texas. My next best find was a box of 9 ice fishing decoys, hand carved by a person in anoka minnesota. At first i thought they were fish lures without hooks and i said i could put hooks on these. Paid the old guy $25 for the box and put them on fleabay again. The collectors went mad, just drove them mad getting them hand carved vintage fish decoys, got like $35 a piece for them.

• Options
    fatcat458fatcat458 Member Posts: 386 ✭✭✭

hammer. Those were likely ''COKES'' or 'coke bottle' shaped grips because of the way they look on the gun. Only made for the first couple years 1955-56 for the original N frame 5screw S&W 44Magnums.. btw. $700 was a GREAT price for both buyer and seller. l've seen them go for almost DOUBLE your sale price right here on GunBroken if they had been listed as COKES. Depending on the collector buying and the condition of the grips or ''STOCKS'' as Smith&Wesson calls them they could have gone for even MORE. Right stocks will turn a $5000 Smith into a $20000 one...

• Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭

Cokes on the right

• Options

good too know not that I will ever find a set but ya never know

• Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,753 ✭✭✭✭

I can bet I have had some but didn't know it. I mean I can hardly tell the diff. with a pic.😑

• Options
    SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭

Glad you got what you asked for it. I can never have a tag sale unless I put an ad in the paper. We are too far off the road and no one would even see the sale.

I vowed that when we get ready to sell there will be no yard sale. I am going to donate everything to charity and what they don't take will go into a dumpster.

My next place is going to be much smaller and I will buy minimal new furniture.

• Options
    diver-rigdiver-rig Member Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭✭

I don't invite complete strangers onto my property to dig through my stuff.

Fellas liable to take a trip to the ER if I catch them in the act...

• Options
    notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭

There's a patch town near us that has a whole town yard sale. It's on one long straight stretch of road. People come from far away to this. Maryland and West Virginia. This is in SW Pa. My daughters and their friends take stuff down to sell. Mostly kids clothes and household items. My older daughter hung clothes on hangers and sold it for a dollar a hanger and made $ 200. I sent some things down with them and sold it all. $100 for me. Anything firearm or hunting related sold right now. I had 12 empty 30-378 for $10, 30 rounds of 30-06 for $5. Stuff like that. Sold immediately. That seems to be the thing around here. Whole community yard sales that is. Myself, I don't go very often any more. I did for a while and brought home too much stuff. One thing I'll say is a good idea to get at flea markets is hardware. Nails, screws bolts .they're always cheaper than the stores and they've gone way up recently.

• Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭