In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

FFL Gunsmithing Record Question

nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,013 ******
edited July 2021 in General Discussion

It's my understanding that a gun being worked on can be dropped off and picked up by the same person with no need for a 4473..

I also understand that the gun must be entered in a bound book reserved for gunsmithing jobs, and that no 4473 or NICS check is required on pickup.

Am I right?

I am not a smith, but I have repaired/cleaned a few guns, using the "while you wait" exception to the bound book, so I have never set aside a separate bound book for repair jobs.

Must I have a separate book, or can I included the entry in my regular book? If I make the entry in my regular book, must I have the customer complete a 4473 when he picks it up?

I expect to receive the gun tomorrow, and I expect to have it in my shop for a couple of weeks, since I will have to order parts once I find out what all it needs.

I know I am not the first FFL to face this issue, so...how did you handle it?

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******

You are correct. Provided the firearm is returned to the person from whom it was received, there is no need for a 4473. [27 CFR 478.124(a) and 478.147]

Although it is not required, I would suggest maintaining a separate bound book. It would make things easier. Your call.

• Options
    Gregor62Gregor62 Member Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭✭

I don't know if it varies by state, but when I was doing smith work, (closed my business in 2011), the dorks from our ATF branch said that I had to log anything in that was in my possession overnight.

Quicky jobs like scope mounting, and the like got a pass. Everything else went on my books.

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******

you should have a separate 'book' for gunsmithing jobs (k.i.s.s.), I did this for 40 years and never had a problem. if you want one of these send me your addy and I'll send one out.

just to note; if someone 'else' picks the gun up (son brings it in, dad picks it up ect.) that person has to fill out the 4473

• Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭✭

My understanding is if left in your possesion overnight it must be entered in the books . As long as the customer stays on premises and does not leave no need to enter it . No 4473 required if left and retrieved by same person .

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options

Sure! Thanks! Slide one on out here.

Nunn's

8550 State Highway 34 N

Wolfe City, TX 75496

• Options

Got it!

THANKS!!!

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******

you are more than welcome

• Options
    jwb267jwb267 Member Posts: 19,666 ✭✭✭

you can always tag it as a personal item . you can work on your personal firearms in your shop. when i first started my ffl in my house, that is what i was required to do

• Options

I have cleaned a few, and have replaced a part or two, but until now, I've not had to keep a client's gun for any length of time. Fix it, clean it, hand it back. No record keeping required.

I had to order parts for this one and wait. I still have it, but parts have been shipped.

Thanks!

• Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,753 ✭✭✭✭

As I read the comments and issues with just having a firearm in YOUR shop to inspect and or repair how insane have the "laws" become?