In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remove Smith & Wesson extractor plunger from a blind hole

gnprtsgnprts Member Posts: 345 ✭✭
edited August 2021 in Ask the Experts

I am trying to remove a stuck extractor plunger from a blind hole in a S&W model 41 .22 pistol slide

The plunger spring was left out before inserting the plunger.

Comments

• Options
    John J StimsonJohn J Stimson Member Posts: 111 ✭✭✭

I would suggest you try inertia by banging on a plasic block. Or a magnet on an allen key that is just smaller then the plunger and will go on the hole.

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,473 ✭✭✭✭

I agree with Mr. Stimson but would add something like Kroil to lesson any friction between the plunger and the sides of the hole. Bob

• Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭

Bob, I would go with brake cleaner in a blind hole, the oil can make for a hydraulic suction. A thin solvent oil like Kroil might work though. Stick a small magnet over the hole, or to a pin punch that will fit in the hole to fish it out. Inertia like John suggest would be my first choice. Then I'd be cussing I didn't do it inside a ziploc bag, because it popped out and bounced off the bench, and then I'd be carpet fishing with a magnet trying to find it.

• Options
    gnprtsgnprts Member Posts: 345 ✭✭
    edited August 2021

Thanks guys

I tried all of your suggestions including cussing.

After failing I cooked it out with my electronic cleaner @165 degrees.? It popped out after about fifteen minutes. Your posts motivated me to keep trying.

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for posting an update on how it went. So many threads end up with people wondering how things turned out.