In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Americans who don't want to leave Afghanistan

susiesusie Member Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭

The talking heads are saying they will get out all of the Americans who want to leave. There are reports that Americans are showing up to leave with their immediate Afghan family. The family is being denied and the American is having to choose to leave without his/her family or stay.

If they remain behind with family they are being labeled as "Americans who don't want to leave". I have no words.

Comments

• Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,786 ✭✭✭✭

Not a good choice one would have to make, such are the types of decisions an evil dictator like Stalin would force upon someone, but then again, look what's in the Whitehouse.

My advice for anyone wanting to leave Afghanistan and enter the USA would be to make it to Mexico.

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,667 ******

Suicide by Taliban.

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone living in Afghanistan (or any other country) "with their family" is no longer an 'American' in my book so they should stay where they have chosen to be.

• Options
    mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭✭

everyone is captain of their own ship

• Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭

We treat illegals coming over our border better than citizens in a war zone.

I hope to hell this story is not true.

Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭

Such are choices that have to be made when someone chooses to put themselves in that type situation. I know American citizens that have family in other countries that are not allowed to visit the USA. People make their own choices, there is no utopia where everything works out just the way you want it. Americans that choose not to leave do it with their eyes wide open just as they placed themselves in the situation to begin with, with their eyes wide open.

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,381 ***** Forums Admin

I agree with Scout. When a person, of their own free will, chooses to travel to a foreign country, they are on their own as far as I'm concerned. I don't see where it's the duty of the US Government, read US taxpayers here, to go retrieve these people. These people would include tourists, college/exchange students, etc. This would not include employees of the US Government, or members of the US armed forces who were carrying out their official duty. These people are out and about at the behest of the US taxpayers, and it is our duty to provide for their safety and safe return home.

• Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021

I think we owe it to our citizens to offer help when someone finds themselves in a situation in another country. What sort of help is situational. If someone chooses to travel to a country that is on our warning list that's their choice and our level of responsibility should reflect that. In the case of these people in Afghanistan that are choosing to stay, well they know they were putting themselves in that situation. They are responsible for how they deal with it. Help was offered, they declined, that's that. I know there are sad stories, but they knowingly created that situation. I have empathy but that doesn't make us responsible or require action on our part.

As a US citizen I would like to think my government would assist me if I found myself needing it while in a foreign country. Things happen. However, like I said, what form that assistance takes, or if it can be given at all, is situational. When a citizen knowingly places themselves where they shouldn't be that's not something that just happens that is an informed decision. I believe people are responsible for their own decisions.