In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Best pistol for lefties?

wildraewildrae Member Posts: 1

Hey yall I'm lookin to buy my first handgun and wondering if there's any out there that are specifically made for southpaws or can be modified to accommodate.

I really want a revolver so if anyone here knows of any good ones that would work for me please let me know.

Thans yall.😊

Comments

• Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭✭

Revolvers are pretty forgiving for people that shoot with the wrong hand. Go with some friends and try a few. You dont mention what caliber?

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,348 ******
    edited August 2021

First of all, welcome to the forums. I don't know of any lefty specific revolvers, but there isn't really any aspect of one that is going to favor one hand over the other while shooting. Reloading possibly. There are a lot of single actions that load on the right side of the gun, but most double action revolvers load on the left. There aren't really controls on a revolver that are hand specific, although both the "load on the left" and "load on the right" varieties have controls that are, in fact, operated with the right hand's thumb and fingers, typically.

I personally like the Lady Smith but any of the J frame Smith and Wesson in 38 caliber (or 357 mag, which can also shoot 38 caliber) or 22 LR are great pistols to start with.

What I really recommend though, is to get to a gun range and rent a few pistols (even semi-auto) and find out what works best for you. You might be surprised what you really like. My wife just bought her first gun a short time ago and it was a semi-auto SIG P365XL and she was shooting the bullseye out of her targets first go-round. There were many other gals at the same range trying their pistols out for the first time, and all I can report to you were that none of the first time shooters really liked their revolvers but did like my wife's gun A LOT. So keep an open mind.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options

The other question to be answered before choosing is: what do you want the gun for, or for what purpose? Immediately, my mind jumps to "self defense", but that's often an unfortunate assumption. If you just want a gun for plinking, the recommendation would potentially be a bit different.

And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,791 ✭✭✭✭

Mr. P is correct. If you tell us what purpose you want your first handgun for we can give you good advice. The people on this Forum know guns, once we know what you want to accomplish the good advice will follow. Welcome!! We don't have enough female members!!

• Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,618 ✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum....as pointed out above, a trip to a range and trying out a few different options and calibers is a good idea. I went though this process with my bride many years ago and until you hold it in your own hand and fire it, everything else is just a suggestion or a guess......

Being left handed in a right handed World is a challenge.....being a lefty myself, I have experienced some issues with different firearms....the good news is most issues can be overcome with some training and familiarity with the firearm..

You can also look at options in terms of aftermarket stocks/grips to make a firearm fit you even better....Good luck and take your time with this decision.....

• Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭

There are a lot of variables in a decision like yours. What is the purpose of the gun, what will you primarily be doing with it? There are many revolvers preferable to a Smith and Wesson J frame 38 depending on use. If the primary purpose of the revolver is concealed carry a J frame 38 would rate fairly high on the list. If the primary purpose is learning fundamentals, shooting form and accuracy, there are much better choices in both frames and cartridges. Any revolver can be used as a house or car gun for protection. A medium framed revolver can also be carried on your person with a little work and the right holster.

My daily carry is a j frame 38 and has been for decades. That said I think the Ruger LCR in 327 federal would be a better option. 6 rounds instead of 5, multiple levels of available ammunition, and you can fire a lot of rounds of 32 S&W for practice without beating your hands up.

If a starter revolver is needed for learning basics I would recommend a 22 with good sights and a 4 inch or longer barrel. One revolver I have for the primary purpose of teaching new shooters is a Ruger sp 101 in 327 federal. Mostly we shoot 32 S&W out of it but 32 H&R mag and 327 federal mag are also trained with. All my DIL's love this revolver.

If you should by chance be looking for a hunting revolver, say for deer hunting, than that's another area and we could address that too.

• Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭

I want to repeat the go to a range where you can rent different weapons to get a hands on perspective idea.

• Options

I like what Dano and Scout5 say too. Get a good quality gun. It won't be your last though, so don't think it has to be the perfect end all be all gun... no such gun exists. Oh, and I too like the Ruger SP 101. Ruger makes VERY solid revolvers.

And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭✭

I have no problem with Charter Arms. 44 pugs make great carry/house guns.

• Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭

There is only one obvious choice.

A model 29/629.

• Options
    Anthony Anthony Member Posts: 96 ✭✭

There are tons of handguns that are compatible to your kind of people. 50% of picking a new gun is ensuring that it fits well in your hand. Start with that and let us know what you come up with.

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,187 ✭✭✭✭

go to a shop or even better a gun show, where you can pick up a variety of different pistols and handle them, some will fit your hand better than others. find the most comfortable to begin with and go from there. the more you can handle the better you will be, if you buy one not suited to you, you will soon regret it or shoot so badly you will want to give up. take the time to find the right one to begin with........

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,680 ✭✭✭✭

Why a revolver? A fifth generation Glock will give you ambidextrous controls (mag release and slide release) and will give you way more rounds and, for the average person, much faster/easier reloads. They are also slimmer than 99% of revolvers making them easier to conceal if necessary.

• Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭✭

Probably wouldnt be a good choice if he wanted it to shoot gophers.

• Options
    mike55mike55 Member Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't bet on it! William81 is a BUCK! LMAO

• Options

OP isn't going to be back to find any of this out, it seems.

And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
  • Options
    Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,371 ******

Geeze guys give the OP a chance, not everyone has nothing to do but wait to respond to this message board... it was her first post, maybe by chance she thought I'll check back tomorrow since for most reasonable folks the question wasn't life or death... or maybe I could be an unreasonable prick like some of you and just bad mouth the posters because they didn't respond to my self important post I spent all of 5 minutes making then waiting for multiple hours to no avail... why hasn't she responded to my brilliant suggestion??? LOL like I said guys give her a chance

• Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭✭

I have a Charter Arms in 44 special. I have to agree with your opinion of them. Mine is accurate to minute of fat man and has a heavy, somewhat gritty trigger. I have it in my tractor to dispatch sick animals I find while mowing. I would never want it as a carry gun.

Joe

• Options
    mike55mike55 Member Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭✭

Easiest, best target. No one else had an avatar that would fit my humorous response 😁😎

• Options
    roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,132 ✭✭✭✭

try a 686 smith and Wesson

Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭✭

Just buy a Colt 1911 in 45ACP. And you will have the best. Unless your into second hand junk.

• Options
    Texas1911DETexas1911DE Member Posts: 655 ✭✭✭✭

...A "left hand" or "right hand" handgun, you're kidding me, geez...Ive taught a number of 100% gun novices how to handle and shoot a handgun, not only new to handguns, but ANY gun...I have never had anyone ask that question...I think you're being * around by the 1 and done poster...

• Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
  • Options

I see 1911 in your handle......I am left handed....there are guns that are not left hand friendly....a great example is a standard 1911..Most still do not have ambi-safeties.....and are not safe for novice shooter..I could talk about semi-autos not set up well for lefties, but some are...

Anyway....if you are not left handed, you likely do not have a grasp on the specific issues faced by lefties...

• Options
    shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭✭

I think some of you are falling for this again.