In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Miss my Dad

Nanuq907Nanuq907 Member Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭

We used to have conversations going on email that would last for weeks until we screwed up and started a new email. The highlight of my morning routine was to flip on the computer and see what he had to say. Every morning like clockwork for better than 20 years. I learned more than I’ll ever be able to recall just reading his recollections of life. Every morning there’d be one new email, from him. He’s been gone a couple years now and my inbox sits empty for weeks on end. I sure miss him.

You guys don’t realize it but your chatting back and forth and reminiscing is exactly what I enjoyed all those years. I’m glad to be able to listen in and remember him. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    pingjockeypingjockey Member Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭✭

From a time much farther back, my little sister informed me that when she was going through mom's things, she found all of my letters home from Vietnam. My dad had saved them all. He passed in 92. I feel your empty feeling.

• Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,458 ✭✭✭✭

Miss mine too. Hard to believe it's been 22 years now he had just retired and leased most of the farm out and we were planning on doing a lot of hunting trips together.

• Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,197 ✭✭✭✭

I've lost both of my parents and both of my step-parents. All of my aunts and uncles, and a lot of my cousins.

I had an elderly man that used to work part-time for me when I was a parts manager. He used to tell me several times that "The worst thing about getting old was losing your friends and family".

The crazy thing now looking back on that time, he was only a little over 1 year older than I am now when he passed away. 😮

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,579 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021

my dad never typed the first key on a computer or wrote any letters ( he never learned to write or read) even phone conversations I doubt would have reached 30 or 40 times over his life to me but i truly miss him , for a long time I would do something or buy a new toy and and want to share it and it would hit me he is no longer here .

I still have a few of his tools ( he was a carpenter ) a both the guns he had ) when I use on It makes me think of him my sons and hopefully grand kids ) will end up with them I only hope they cherish them as much as I do

• Options

Boy isn't that the truth. My dad's unit received a Presidential Unit Award for extraordinary heroism under combat in Korea. My brother has his 1911A1. A year ago I bought a really nice 1911A1 redone as a National Match piece by Springfield, and all I could think of was to send him a picture. And I realized I can't.

I spent decades living thousands of miles away from him and my mom, and it's gut wrenching to think of all the Christmases and Thanksgivings and birthdays I wasn't there to give him a big bear hug and wish him well. We emailed and talked, but like he used to say, sometimes your good intentions gotta have skin on them.

The only thing I can hang my hopes on is that God is true to his word, and there really is a heaven, and my dad is there waiting for me beside his favorite swimming hole in the Yellowstone river.

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,385 ******

Nanuq, I sincerely hope that you saved all of those priceless e-mails with your dad to look back upon when you get the need to bring him closer. I'll admit that these things can work both ways depending on your moods when reminiscing. May bring you up or can also bring you down.

I just celebrated my father's 107th birthday in Heaven. Gone since early 1993. He never touched a keyboard or sent me any letters but I was Blessed to have lived close to him for the first 17 years of my life and then again the last 20 years of his. All priceless memories that I hold deep inside.

• Options
    pingjockeypingjockey Member Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭✭

I believe that part of the reason my dad was so faithful at writing was his time in the merchant marines during wwll. He was one of 8 children. He went most of his life thinking he didn't serve but in the end with a little investigation, he was given honorable discharges from every branch except the Marine Corp. His last job was moving a hospital ship into position for the invasion of Japan. He was the baby of the family and lost his dad when he was 8 years old.

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭

My dad has been gone for 26 years, and my mom ended her battle with cancer 2 weeks ago. Been so busy dealing with the estate that it hasn't really sunk in, but I have a feeling that once I realize that I am now an orphan it will be a different story.

• Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭

You are lucky..............my dad died in "81 when I was twelve. We didn't have internet and email or text back then.

My stepdad (whom I considered my second dad) passed away 3 years ago, unexpectedly. He and I used to text a lot. I still have all of his messages and his number saved on my phone.

• Options

Once in awhile over the last 25 years my dad would call and leave a voice message on my phone at work. I kept missing him, and regretted it. But now I get to play those messages back any time I want to hear his voice.

I can never leave this job... that would mean giving up my messages. Fair trade, I think.

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,579 ✭✭✭✭

reminded me

My departed MIL kept the letters from her oldest son who was in Viet-Nam ( he was a ranger I found that out after passed RIP Gene ) we gave them all to his only daughter who sadly passed away last fall I hope they get passed on to her only daughter .

my wife still has a old tape recorder he sent home to his mom to send recorded message to her ( just one reel in it ) like a small reel to reel recorder not sure what they called them ? very early on but being a kid she and the other kids taped over all the messages with the latest music of the day he sent home by tape to his mom and siblings .

towards the end of dads life he would call ask me to repair something on his car then apologize like it was a burden

I told him many times call any time I am more than happy to help , no way could I pay you back for all you gave up for me and the other kids keeping food and a roof over us