In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Sunday in my garage

44pinshooter44pinshooter Member Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭

Has been interesting watching our 2 sons and a friend of theirs, spend the day in my garage doing brake lines on a Chevy S10. So far there has been 1 original trip to get a flex brake line for the right front wheel, which has lead to 3 trips today to the parts store for more and more steel brake line. Seems as they fix one spot, they find another rusty line or fitting.

I remember days like that, many years ago on cars, trucks, tractors and machinery. Never got it done with just 1 trip to town. Kind of like those simple home repairs, at least 3 trips to the hardware store.

Comments

• Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,453 ✭✭✭✭

my wife use to give me heck as I would have to make a normal three trips into town for any project like most of you something else would be found broke or needing replaced the parts store gave me the wrong parts, a fitting would strip or break off of course for a mile around people would hear " ()*&^^%^())_+@)&^&$%& " nothing but fun and a little blood

as for brakes I learned change all the lines if one is bad the rest are waiting there turn too soon go bad might as well add in wheel cylinders while your that far in and new brake fluid flush

many years ago I thought to avoid it I bought rolls of brake lines various sizes and bags of fittings then had to the same for metric sizes to go with the sae sad but bet a dollar every time I will be working on one seems one odd ball fitting or bleed screw will snap so off to the parts store ,,

• Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭

Just finished the exhaust system on my Chevelle.

Headers and a custom made system. Two trips to the exhaust shop to tweek one of the bends, 30 miles one way.

One trip to the welding shop, 20 miles one way. Three trips!

what is this exhaust system you speak of .. 😁 I ran open headers for many years on my Camaro but I did give in a few years back and bought a set of bolt on header mufflers ,,

but given todays local LEO looking for any reason to make money for the city's bank roll a full exhaust is a good investment

by the way what's the details on your Chevelle ?

• BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,280 ******

Three trips to the auto parts store?? Does anyone remember when parts places made house calls?

I didn't think so! 🤣

• Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭

Way too loud without mufflers.

1970 Chevelle real SS from the not too great state of Ca.

Born with a 396, then a 454, and Mark Jones 496. I did drive it some without any mufflers, Just collectorss on the don Lemons headers(nice).

All original sheet metal, started out Astro blue now resale red. I have changed out all the original drive train, front to back. Gear vendor in front of a Moser 9 inch.

Don't know how to post pictures but it is a 9.5 out of 10.

• mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭✭

if ones bad they all are

• BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭

You would think with all of the stuff and tools in my garages that I have collected over the years that I wouldn't have to make those extra trips when it's only a small 20 minute job. Nope, it always requires at least 1 extra trip. Fixing one thing always seems to lead to finding another problem and it is off to the store again. At least I am doing what I can to keep the economy healthy. Bob

sounds like a nice car . I truly love the old muscle cars

I have two 69 camaros one was a SS 396 then a 427 then a 454 ordinal engine long gone 😥 4 speed 4:56 and car in pieces waiting on me owned since 1976 or so the second also a 396 and now 454 4 speed 4:11 bought it about 15 years and tinker with it . need a new paint job ( maybe before I kick off )

the first one when I bought it the exhaust was a set of drive shafts cut off and a flange welded on to bolt to the headers ( still have them in the shop ) they were attention getters for sure

but way back many moons ago open headers even slicks were a common sight on the weekends

• grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭

IT'S A CONSPIRACY, I TELL YOU! The parts stores are in cahoots with the gas companies! Seems I can't do ANY project around here without at least 2 trips to one or the other parts stores! 🤬