In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

ATF just confiscated Dads TRW M14NM

My late Dad, a WWII D-Day hero and career senior army NCO retired at Ft. Hood Texas in the middle 1960s. One of his guns was a TRW M14NM that he was I believe given thru army regulation AR920-25 (which by the way is still referenced in the current version of "Code of Federal Regulations") I am a Vietnam Vet and both Dad and I suffer from PTSD and had a falling out in the early 1970s and I did not see him again until he was on his death bed from an automobile accident accident in 1977. I am the oldest son. I never thought about the NM until early this year when my younger brother caught covid and gave me the NM. He had never told anyone, not even his wife that he had it. I consulted with a well known Texas gun trust attorney who seemed to think it was legal to own because AR 920-25 specified that the forerunner of ATF had determined that it was semi-auto only, but suggested I contact ATF to be sure. Well after 4 months ATF decided that NOW it is a M14 machine gun and had me surrender it Thursday.

I contend that it is NOT an M14 any more than a M!A is. The Judge in the attached brief makes this very clear, in fact he is very careful NOT to refer to it as a M14 but always refers to it as a "NM" and also in the brief defines the difference between a M14 and a M14NM.

I plan to fight this to the legal end.

Bill Biggs

Temple,Texas

Comments