In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Loewe Berlin-marked 1891 Argentine Mausers not actually antique?

Hey there, with yet another Mauser question (did I mention I like Mausers?)

A bit back, I purchased an 1891 Argentine Mauser with Loewe Berlin marked on the side. From the two commonly-cited Empire Arms pre-1899 FAQs by James Rawles https://www.empirearms.com/pre-1899.htm http://www.rawles.to/Pre-1899_FAQ.html to the hardcover Mauser Rifles Vol. 1 by Luc Guillou, to well known firearms historians on YouTube, to even the Wikipedia page, it's been repeatedly stated that Loewe receivers are pre-1899 due to the total restructuring of the company into DWM in 1896/1897 as to avoid controversy of the anti-Semitic rumors started by Hermann Ahlwardt over the Gew88. Therefore, receivers marked with Loewe Berlin have to be from before this time.

Yet, another user has wisely pointed out to me that according to the Colin Webster publication Argentine Mausers: 1871-1959 , the R block of Loewe Berlin receivers was made in 1899.

Loewe

1892 A0000 - C4999

1893 C5000 - F9999

1894 G0000 - L4999

1895 L5000 - M9999

1896 N0000 - O4999

DWM

1899 O5000 - T7999

1900 T8000 - V3999

1901 V4000 - W9999

Which leaves me with this mystery. I obtained a Loewe Berlin-marked Argentine Mauser (all parts matching, including receiver, barrel, magazine, bolt, stock), yet seemingly of the R block that falls into DWM serial ranges as listed above. Thankfully, I had it FFL transferred as a modern, so I'm not too concerned if the ATF comes knocking since all the proper paperwork has been done and documented, but it leaves me with the lingering question: Are Loewe Berlin receivers antique or not?

Did DWM just forget to change the markings when they continued production? If so, it seems that the literature should be changed to reflect that Loewe-marked receivers simply aren’t sufficient proof that the gun qualifies as an antique. At the very least, it seems those FAQ lists / wiki pages should be amended to reflect the serial number range exceptions so that others who genuinely are doing their best to follow the antique vs. modern rules don’t get misled and entrapped.

Thanks for the insight!

-asparagustasty

Comments

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******

It very well could be a 'clean-up' of on hand parts stock so still an antique. well published that ALL Loewe marked rifles ARE antiques. The ATF has more to worry about than this, they arn't about to break your door down over it.