In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

A wild game cookbook from the 30's

William81William81 Member Posts: 24,615 ✭✭✭✭

A friend at church loaned this to me. It has a lot of useful tips and some good old boy humor. It even has a page on cooking skunk..

Comments

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,048 ******

That is a true treasure. I find this just way cool. Tell me more. Thanks for posting this.

• Options

I am being real careful with it as it is getting brittle...

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,399 ******

Very cool! We had an old cookbook that dated back to the early years of the 20th century. Written for the female in the kitchen which was where she belonged back then. 🤐 The book had many anecdotes like getting on the good side of your butcher (he should be as close as family) 😮

Every recipe was from scratch which included harvesting\storage techniques for garden herbs, vegetables, fruits, nuts, and berries. My wife used that book quite a bit when we were first married. She learned a lot as well. Sadly, it disappeared around 25 years ago. No idea where it went!

• Options
    grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭

We found a cookbook from the 1950's prepared by Bell Systems employees. It has about 300 pages of recipes, most of which are home cooking. We haven't found many that weren't very good. It has a section devoted to wild game cooking, but no skunk recipes!

• Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,914 ✭✭✭✭

We have one of similar vintage that I wish I could find. (Literally falling apart) interesting stuff were the hand written notes! And also the measurements referrals IE: "butter the size of an egg"-"a shot of thimble sized vinegar" wish I could find that book.

"

• Options

That’s why I posted it…..who wants to volunteer ?

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,591 ✭✭✭✭

LOL

we have about 10 to 12 skunks hanging around I was looking on line about a year ago and a article in the boy scout hand book showed up, it had I will guess the same recipe or close to it , funny said they tasted better than racoon or may have been opossum ? I will not be finding out

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,399 ******

There is a current TV commercial going about The General car insurance company where it shows Shack O'Neil left out in the woods because he endorsed the company. His friends return to bring him home because they learn The General really is good insurance. He says he is not ready to go back until the skunk he has cooking over the open fire isn't quite done yet! 😁