In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

27 nosler

kumatekumate Member Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭

anyone tried it out?

Comments

• Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭

I have been looking at it. The 6.8 western seems to be a better fit for me. I don't really need either as the 7mm Rem mag that I already have would be up to the task

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭✭

I have also been looking at it but I already have a 270wsm. I wish Winchester had come out with the 6.8 western instead of the 270wsm originally but my wsm has killed everything I've pointed it at. The Nosler should do the same. Bob

• Options
    grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭

Like most of us, I probably have all the calibers on hand to kill anything on the North American continent. That doesn't excuse us from craving a few more. 😎

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭

Personally no, but have friends who have 26, 27, 28 and 30. Sure they shoot great, but aren't worth it IMO. One guy shot an elk at 80 yards with it, and it took four shots to put it down with factory ammo. Ammo was going way too fast for the distance, and exploded upon impact. Another bud had one in 28, and was burned out in less than 300 rounds using medium loads (IIRC) with IMR 8133. It has been converted to a 28 Sherman.

If you want one, go ahead and get one. But IMO, they are really not worth the expense, since the extra 200 fps doesn't make it worth it unless you are shooting at 1,000 yards or more.

• Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
  • Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭

I'll just stick with my 7mm's. Magnum for most everything then the STW when you just need to reach out and touch something.

• Options
    GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭

It has been my experience that proper bullet, and bullet placement are more important than the caliber.

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,680 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021

BINGO! We have a winner!

Let me start with the fact that I hunt with a .270 Winchester. It is, without doubt, my favorite round so I'm biased towards it.

I am also very choosey about the shots I take. If I'm not positive I can make a clean kill, I don't take the shot. That includes very long range shots where there is a chance the animal can move enough to affect bullet placement. When you have to wait multiple seconds between breaking the shot and impact I think you're setting yourself up for crippling an animal. Not good. IMNSHO, the 27 Nosler is a great round if you want to punch paper at long distance, not so great as a hunting round. Too fast for up close, still too slow (but everything is!) for 'way out there'.

• Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭

You two are killing my argument with the wife on why I need another gun

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,346 ******

30.06 works for me.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

GB only has 9 listings for the ammo .

• Options
    slingerslinger Member Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭

30.06 works for me too, or 300 win mag. But if all could get was .270, it would be enough for me. Sometimes I think we are dividing molecules to find the best part of one.