In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remington 870 All American

damonster1 damonster1 Member Posts: 5

I was in a local pawn shop today looking for an older 870 in decent shape. I did find one for a decent price. However, while I was looking around I noticed a pump shotgun with a lot of engraving. I asked if I could see it and it is a really nice looking gun. I had never seen one before and the guy at the pawn shop didn’t know much about it other than it was a 870. I did a little research and found out it was an All American trap gun made between 1972-1976. What would you think a fair value is on this one? I have posted pictures of its condition and serial number.

Comments

• Options
    Anthony Anthony Member Posts: 96 ✭✭

I personally can't find any listings for it. Personally, I feel like the value will simply depend on the collector and how valuable he finds it. Personally, I think $1,000 is a enough to make me tell them to go choke on one. To a hardcore Remington collector it might be worth thousands.

• Options
    mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭✭

way to much for condition

• Options

That’s what was on the ticket. The guy told me that he’d let it go for $850. Before I put out that kind of money I’d like to know a little more about what it is. Does anyone have one or seen one before that can tell me about it? I’m thinking if I go back of offering the guy $1,200 for the Wingmaster and this All American. Just the fact that this gun is over 40 years old and still in good shape should be worth something.

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November 2021

"and still in good shape "..........is subjective, for a 'collector' it is a 'used trap gun' with some rust and wear on the magazine tube. just saying...... still I wouldn't mind taking it out to the trap range, nice wood

• Options

This is at a pawn shop and not in someone’s personal collection. If I were to buy it, I certainly wouldn’t use it for hunting but, I would probably shoot skeet a couple times a year with it and then put it up. Do you have any idea what it may be worth?

• Options
    groundhog244groundhog244 Member Posts: 55 ✭✭

$650.00 to $700.

• Options

I appreciate it. I may have to think about this one a little. I’m getting the Wingmaster he has for sale. This one was just something I had never seen before and neither had anyone I talked with. If the price is right, I may go after it but this gives me a little more information.

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭

The trap shotgun has machine engraving, which does little to enhance the value. Remington used to offer factory hand engraved guns, which bring a substantial premium in good condition. The fact that a gun is 40 years old is not important; Remington made literally millions of 870's & 1100's. Repair parts will soon be difficult to find.

You need to look at the configuration of any shotgun, based on what you plan to use it for. Most will be "hunting", "trap", "skeet", "sporting clays", or "defense". And, more recent shotguns will have interchangeable choke tubes.

For market value, learn how to look at Gunbroker "completed" auctions. Unless you know the market, you will overpay for guns.

Neal

"Buy high & sell low is a poor marketing strategy."

• Options

I’d like to give a fair price and keep it for a while and either pass it down to my son or grandkids if he ever has any or sell it for more than I bought it years from now. From what I read Remington only made 1000 of these guns. Do you know if that’s correct? I’d like to find out exactly what year it was made but I can’t seem to decipher the serial number.

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭✭

On the left side of the barrel near the receiver should be a 2 letter date code. You will find out how to decipher it in this link;

Bob

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
This discussion has been closed.