In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

13 & 5 Per Gallon

gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭

NYC

Gas, 9.5 cents (plus 4 cents tax), ca. 1930.

It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books

Comments

• Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭✭

I got my license in 1971. Gas was 23.9 for regular and high test was 27.9.Myfirst car a 1962 Olds super 88 with the hi performance 394 got 11 mile to the gallon ,regardless of how you drove .

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,029 ✭✭✭✭

My mom had a 1966 Ambassador 990. Paint was a real pretty Cortez Aqua

• Options
    Texas1911DETexas1911DE Member Posts: 655 ✭✭✭✭

"I can recall gas being a little under $0.30 per gallon. I'd go to a neighborhood gas station, and get $1.00 worth of gas. They checked the air pressure in all four tires, cleaned the windshield, checked the oil level, as well as the anti-freeze and windshield washer level, all before heading down town with my buds looking for girls."

...Same here!..."fill it up" give 'em a $5 dollar bill and get some change back...😊...but I had a Chevy SS 396, then a GTO w/400...miss my cars more than the people...ahhh, the days of the gas "wars", are gone forever...

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******

In today's $$$, that's $1.58 plus 66 cents tax, making the pump price $2.22 per gallon. That was pretty close to what I was paying last year here in Florida.

• Options
    edited November 2021

The least expensive gas I remember - $19.9 per gal. at the Sinclair station. c.1961

It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,496 ✭✭✭✭

It has been a long time, but I remember buying gas for 25.4 cents a gallon.

The station across the street was charging 25.8.

Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭

used to get it for around 30 cents a gallon when I was a kid for my mini bike and then car.

Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021

Had a 55 Chevy with a Corvette engine and three deuces on it in '61. Mess Hall Sgt. let me use meat hook/hoist to install engine in it. Sucked a lot of gas but not a clue how much per gallon. Who cared life was good.--------------------------Ray

• Options
    edited November 2021

1964 Ford Galaxie 500 - 427 with dual Quads ... about 4 mpg ... if you had a light foot ! 😉

• Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,903 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2021

Yeah, and he made 10 cents/hr

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,976 ******

if you had $3 you were good for Fri nite

3 gals of gas

3 packs of cigs.

and a six pack of PBR

• Options
    Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,378 ******

Gas wars in the early 70's I remembers 26 cents a gallon... couple years later I was the one doing the full service at the station and gas was about 48 cents, my 67 mustang could be filled for about 5 bucks and a few bucks more we had a case of Budweiser for the friday night date... funny only making about $2.50 an hour and still had pocket change... Remember then thinking if I could only make it to $10.00 an hour I would be rich...

• Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭

I worked at a FINA gas station from 1973-78 and gas was about a30 -50 cents a gallon during that time, a bit more if it was full serve.

We had a full serve station with tires, brakes and carb work. I made $4.00 per hour and drove the service truck too.

RLTW

• Options
    Wild TurkeyWild Turkey Member Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭✭

gas was 19.9 cents when I started driving.

We also used to get "drip" gas for free in the winters. I grew up on the edge of the Texas Oklahoma Panhandle oil field and the liquid gas would condense out of natural gas in the steel pipes laid on the surface and would clog the system so they let dad pump it out every couple of days.

He'd mix it 50/50 with premium and we had good gas for about 10 cents/gallon.

• Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,202 ✭✭✭✭

Back when I first started working at the local Sohio station, regular gas was 19.9 a gal. That was in 1964. You could go over to Indiana and the gas was several cents cheaper per gallon, BUT you had to pay the tax on top of the pump price. So it turned out about the same.

Joe

• Options
    MillironMilliron Member Posts: 271 ✭✭

Well apparently I am one tick older than some here, Turned 16 in '62, But grew up on a wheat farm. My Dad farmed with propane tractors. In the 50's he bought "dump rate" propane for $.03-.05 per gallon. Not nearly as exciting as a '64 ford 427.

• Options
    pingjockeypingjockey Member Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭✭

Used to get about .75 for a prime muskrat pelt and .25 per jackrabbit for the mink farms in the 60's. A regular Jeremiah Johnson. Not too many "griz" in the north Iowa river bottoms though. 😉

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,413 ******

Not only the low prices but I also remember telling the full service attendant to fill er up with Ethyl ! 😲 She was a very popular lady back then!

• Options
    62vld204262vld2042 Member Posts: 995 ✭✭✭✭

Way back in about 1962-1964......pretty much the end of America's Golden Years......I can(still) recall filling my mo-ped  up with 18 cents per gallon gas.......during one of the many "gas wars" of the era.

A VERY much better time...............sigh!!

• Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭

I remember gas around .68 per gallon when I was a kid...........mid 70's

• Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,356 ✭✭✭✭

My first job was pumping gas at a station a couple of blocks from our house, it was .27 a gallon and they also sold kerosene and it was around .17 a gallon.

I was making a whopping $1.00 an hour and I thought I was J.D. Rockefeller. That was high cotton back then.

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭✭

I got back from a deployment in Diego-Garcia in late 1973.Amaco premium had shot up to the unheard of price of 49 cents a gallon.

• Options