In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Rossi Mod. 92, 38/357

asopasop Member Posts: 8,911 ✭✭✭✭

My son just bought one for $500. Used but in really good shape. Unable to find info? Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

There have been favorable comments on it on this forum. I do not recall any unfavorable.

• Options
    truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭✭

I've never owned one, but I've read that the design pretty much follows the Winchester Model 92, which, in my opinion, was the best designed Winchester lever action.

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November 2021

I've got one (and a .44/40) they both work very well. also have the rifle version in .45 colt s.s. it also is very good. $500 is a good price in todays world

• Options
    fayettefattsfayettefatts Member Posts: 28

Good price for a nice rifle. May or may not need to be smoothed up as quality varies.

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021

only bad thing I have heard is sometimes they favor the 38 or the 357, one shoot fine the other jamomatic. they make a very nice kid gun no recoil and 357 is big enough for eastern deer under 100 yards, I have a marlin 357 and have killed many deer with it. Just let my cousins son who was with me and is eight use it last week, he got a nice doe, and I got a nice memory.

• Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭✭

I own 2 Rossi's 92's in .38/.357 and 1 marlin 1894 in .44mag. , the Rossi's to me are the best, never a problem and the Marlin is hit and miss with the different brands of ammo used. For pistol caliber bullets those two are the best our there but I haven't tried the Henry line yet but I've heard very good reports on them. Winchester for some reason don't seem to work as well with pistol caliber bullets ???, the few I've owned over the years were either sold or traded off. I think your son will be happy with his purchase.

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭

@hillbille Yes, Mine did a good job on a large buck at 60 yds with a 158gr. sjhp.

• Options
    discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭

Big Positive vote on the Rossi lever action. mine is in 45 long colt, and the previous owner had spent some time and effort polishing the action. smooth as glass. grandson age 10 has no problem operating it and enjoys shooting it.

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭

If you plan on scoping it, and need a hammer spur, I have one for a Rossi, not sure if it's an exact fir for your son's rifle, but it's yours if you want it, just message me your address.

• Options
    Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,359 ******

Well as the 10th post I can say I have both a Win model 94 trapper and a Rossi "mares leg" or whatever their name is for the "pistol" and they are both in 44 Mag and they both shoot, and lever action very well with either special or mags and I don't reload, but ran 50 or so that I bought through them and had no problems... the Rossi doesn't have as nice a fit for the wood but the actions both work very well.

• Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,911 ✭✭✭✭

toad-Appreciate the offer. Don't think he intends to scope it. Thanks for the offer however.

This discussion has been closed.