In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

FALSE LISTING

top1939top1939 Member Posts: 7 ✭✭

Lately, I see quite a few listings that are totally and sometimes partially exagerated .. and misleading...

I consider this darn near criminal.....

There was just a M1 GARAND - item 915665259 on recently. It sold for 4k if memory serves me right. Did not feel like digging... :-) The Rifle was listed as being built by Don McCoy -- Don built NATIONAL MATCH Garands for the US NAVY. Back in the 70's and 80's I worked with him at the old Camp Elliott MARINE BASE in San Diego. We built and repaired MATCH RIFLES in the old MESS HALL Kitchen on stainless steel tables. I built quite a few rifles with Don - and I was also on the US NAVY Rifle Team for the West Coast, also running the ARMORY on a Ship there and maintaining over 500 weapons ---- lots of M14's. AND....Built many M21 Rifles/M14 M21 SNPER/MATCH. I was also on ARMY Rifle TEAMS and an Instructor for many years...State Champion as well...

The rifle was listed as being built by and bought from Don McCoy - which in fact is a total lie. They went as far as to glue a dumb piece of paper on the trigger housing that had his name on it. I "ME"..I built the rifle...ME..no one else. (HERE IN COLORADO SPRINGS) The receiver is from a Rifle I bought from CMP... Waiting for a copy of my SALES RECEIPT Don gave me many pointers when we worked together - which all went into this piece. I contacted the seller , explained to him about the listing and he blew it off -- becoming very defensive. The SENIOR CHIEF I sold it to 5-6 years ago..........has passed away Feb 2010,,,. His widow told me nothing of his has been sold...NOTHING.... Then how was the rifle obtained by the lister ??? The receiver is in my name from CMP....and the handwriting on the bolt is obviously mine. If SCP sold it before he passed - his wife does not know ???

Sample of my markings.....Just finished this Tuesday..

I use DEVCON Plastic Steel or the Aluminum for bedding -- Don used the basic compound from Brownells...

I also lugged this rifle... Not sure to be honest if Don ever lugged one..??? Never saw him do one..

What I want to know is.......opinions......Should I get hold of the BATF....I already contacted GUNBROKER....no response.???? What are the opinions here...What would you do ?? Did I do right..??? Was on the phone again with the widow an hour ago... She said NOTHING has been sold....nothing... Even if it had been, it was falsely listed and Fraudulent in its description...

Comments

• top1939top1939 Member Posts: 7 ✭✭

Ouch...I need to slow down... I had a very bad seizure last night. Very bad...

Poor SCPO died February 2021..... The rifle was his.....Unless the seller can prove he boought it from SCPO - it is considered stolen... Am I right..???? Wrong ??? What say you all.....??

• dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,934 ✭✭✭✭

Where did the seller get the pictures? Don

• mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November 2021

Unless there is a violation a firearms regulation, the BATF won't get involved. Gun Broker never had possession of the rifle- then or now, so they have no way to know which of the two of you: the seller (with over 4000 A+ ratings) or you, the helpful bystander, are correct. This is not going to be a criminal matter that the police will be willing to involve themselves with. This is a business transaction "gone wrong" (you say) and will be a civil action. Proceed as you feel fit, but don't bring Gun Broker into it.

This discussion has been closed.