In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Lost

Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭

There is a married couple that has been lost in the NJ Pine Barrens for the last 12 days or so. They found their ATV and a shotgun that was on the ATV but nothing else.

Isn't that were the Jersey Devil is supposed to live and where the Mobsters get rid of bodies?

C&P

Search is on for New Jersey couple, 67 and 60, who disappeared in million-acre forest 11 days ago: Cops found their ATV with a shotgun strapped to it but no sign of the pair

• More than 100 searchers looked for Gary Parker, 67, and his wife Lorraine, 60, Parker, last week after they were last seen entering the natural preserve on ATVs
  • Their ATV was found last Tuesday, the same day when their daughter, Lindsay, reported her parents missing
  • Authorities have not provided a timeline for the couple's disappearance, but found the couple's ATV with Gary's shotgun attached to it

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10251849/Married-couple-67-60-disappearing-New-Jerseys-Pine-Barrens.html

RLTW

Comments

• Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,834 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021

I recently watcged the documentary called:

”Missing 411: Hunters”

Very experienced people go missing in very familiar areas, in good weather more often than you would expect.

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,234 ✭✭✭✭

Very interesting. yes the pine barrens is a spooky place and was featured on The Sopranos

The mystique of the Pine Barrens was showcased during a gripping May 2001 third -season episode of “The Sopranos” where Christopher Moltisanti (Michael Imperioli) and Paulie “Walnuts” Gaultieri (Tony Sirico) take a thug out to the dense woodlands in the dead of winter to whack him, only to lose him along with their composure.

Chris and paulie got lost and had to spend the night in the pine barrens. nearly froze to death.

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,653 ******

Lorraine: "Let's stop and ask directions. "

Gary: "I am not lost!"

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,170 ✭✭✭✭

I think I remember Oakie saying he hunted there, not sure of woody? the fellow who made turkey calls he did too I think...........

• Options
    Texas1911DETexas1911DE Member Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭

...Anyone can get lost...

...I consider myself pretty "woodsy" after a life time spent in the woods hunting...but I spent ALL day lost once in the Davy Crocket National Forest, trying to find my way to anything familiar...had a novice deer hunter with me and I got side tracked with all his yammering, BIG mistake...canopy was too thick to keep track of the suns position...finally after about 10 hours of hard walking, came out on a logging road about 2 miles from the camper...at least the road was easy walking...havnt got side tracked since...no fun at all...

• Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭

Leaving the shotgun there with the ATV would be strange to me. ATV probably out of fuel? Yea, almost been there in a place I thought I known, it can happen.

• Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭

Another alien abduction?

• Options

I think the ATV was stuck but it was not far from their house. A lot of folks get lost in that area and are never seen again. I have never been there but as a person who spent most of 25 years in the woods all over the world it seems like that is an area where its easy to get lost.

I can say I have never been lost in the woods but I have been temporarily miss directed 😉

RLTW

• Options
  • Options
    Nanuq907Nanuq907 Member Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭

I went out hiking there once near Batsto Preserve, left a waypoint at the car with my GPS, grabbed my backpack and away we went. I hiked way way way back into the barrens and the Sun went over its apex and started down.

Being from a place where the Sun takes hours and hours to set, I thought nothing of it. Then within about 2 minutes, bloop. No Sun. It was down and dark. No moon.

It took me hours to get out of there and that's with a GPS. Trails impossible to make out except for the occasional sandy patch. The frogs started croaking, then I'd hear a branch break off in the distance and think for sure the Piney Barrens Devil was coming for me.

That's the thing about the east coast, it's flat and there is no terrain and no features to orient by. The stars told me which way was north, but I already knew that. I could see someone getting panicked out there and doing something stupid.

• Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭

When I was young and knew everything I was deer hunting Sumter National Forest.I was parked on a gravel road,put my tree stand and day pack on before daylight and all I had to do was go straight in the woods about a quarter mile to where I planned to hunt.I walked what seemed like a long time and started seeing landmarks I had not seen before.After walking about 45 minutes in the dark I had to admit I was somewhat lost.As I shined my flashlight trying to get my bearings,a flashlight shined back at me.I thought I must have walked in on another hunter and started to turn around not to mess up his hunt.I noticed that he shined his light at me at the same time I shined at him.Then I figured out that is a reflection.I went to the reflection and it was the bumper of my truck.I had walked in the dark woods for best part of an hour and just made a big circle.I never went back in the woods in the dark without taking a compass reading.

• Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭✭

@Nanuq907 Not all of the east coast is flat. The pine barrens are not only flat, but it all looks the same, no matter which way you're looking. I've hunted in the Batsto area (pre GPS) & headed back to the car before the sun went down.

Curious why they would leave their shotgun behind??

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,555 ✭✭✭✭

hope they find them

other than the TV show Supranos and oakie on the forums I had never heard of it

but it does seem to have its share of lost people

• Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,176 ✭✭✭✭

Maybe they weren't the driver/passenger on the ATV ?? Hopefully with a thorough investigation the law will find out.

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,555 ✭✭✭✭

does not add up but the info provided is very vague hopefully they will find out the truth on what happened to them

• Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,834 ✭✭✭✭

Are those photos mug shots?

• Options
    kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭✭

No foul play suspected? That is an odd deal. Close to home, left his shotgun on the ATV, both dead......

• Options
    Nanuq907Nanuq907 Member Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭

We had something like that happen here, an older couple went out behind the house and it was murder/suicide.

I guess some folks get so wrapped up in despair over the state of their lives they think this is the only way out. This is where we step in. Get to know your neighbors by name. Wave and smile when you see them. Get in their business and be a little pushy. Let them know you mean it when you ask "How are you?" Be patient and understanding when your wife bakes bread or cookies and wants you to take it over to them. She means well and we can darn sure learn something from her.

• Options

That is sad. Sounds like she may have had health issues walking with a cane at 60.

RLTW

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭

Agree, probably DMV photos.

It's not that hard to believe they died 200 yards from their house, actually. They'd have had no idea they were that close, in all likelihood. She needed a cane - and lost it. They had no idea where they were. They couldn't move well. They hunkered down for the night and it got cold. For seniors, that's all it would take.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭

Utah says no smile - because when the cop is comparing you to the photo, you won't be.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.